Internet Marketing

Have any of you who self-distribute tried internet marketing (buying ads on other people's sites, google ads, facebook ads, etc)? If so what worked for you?

I have, but I preferred getting reviews on Film Threat, Ain't It Cool News, and other film sites, as well as in the print media. Paying for the ads didn't seem to yield as much results for others I know of.

I am doing a feature length Doc on Primal Quest Badlands. it is a 600 mile 10 day adventure race. MY target buyers are the racers and family. I am using Facebook to keep everybody in the loop on the film. I post short clips regularly. Just random stuff I shot. I also have a simple website with clips and post to several Adventure Racing sites. It seems to be keeping the interest up while I produce the DVD.http://legendaryrandyericksenfilms.wikispaces.com/

Never tried paying for it, I think wonders can be achieved by good viral marketing on the web. However, facebook is pretty cool, how you can target your market so effectively like that.

I have personally no experience of the internet marketing but from the business point of view i think it is the best and cheapest way to advertise for indie films. I have no idea of printing, TV commercials etc in foreign countries but here in Pakistan all the mediums are expensive. Print medium can be cheap if you compromise on paper and printing quality etc. The important [art is that are you targeting west? if yes then internet can be a good option because there are plenty of internet users.. if the film was for a country like Pakistan then internet would have been a not so good option.

By the way personally i have few questions

Are there companies in foreign which specialize in marketing of indie films??
if yes then what they charge??
How much you would have like to pay to internet marketing companies??

Social Media

The best way to market your film is by using Social Media. This means using Facebook, Myspace, Twitter, and other networks to build relationships and a fan base for your project or film. This is very time consuming but is well worth it. Just don't try to use these services just for advertisements. To have any kind of success in social media you need to really build relationships with the people that could have a interest in your project.

Bit shocked that there are not more replies in this thread. Should I take that as intermarketing is no good?
Marc Rosenbush made a movie called Zen Noir and apparently did pretty well by marketing to Buddists. Vince Rocca who made Kisses & Caroms marketed to billiard table suppliers and players. The point is that Internet marketing works if you can target a niche audience. It helps if your film has some unique aspects.

No your target group. I know that the only people that will by my DVD on the Primal Quest adventure race are the racers, their families, and locals who were interested in the race. Will I make any money? A few bucks maybe. But I hope they have a nice film to watch when I am done. I think thats how the internet will work for you.

I am out and about marketing my feature "Battle" which is in post as I write.

You have to do a combo of things and then some. The usual suspects of Social Media Sites are a given. To take it a step further you have to find the up and coming never heard of Social Media Sites as well.

You have to combine this with your own site, getting reviews from bloggers etc., getting interviewed on blog radio sites, posting on forums such as this to direct people to see your material.

I know you probably don't want to hear this but you truly have to pin point your target audience. It all starts there. Once you know your market you have to go there on the net and bombard them with your material. So I'm not oppose to buying ads if they are cheap and your focus group sees it.

Lay out a game plan. It works if you make it work. Its overwhelming if you let it be. If you have any budget at all there are Internet Publicist who can help. If that's not in your budget get interns, friends, and family to help out!

This is just the tip of the iceberg but it works. Remember with no money its not a sprint its a marathon to get people to see your movie.

www.battle-movie.com
www.battlethemovie.blogspot.com
http://vimeo.com/8463840
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uDQe5I3FQcs

Internet marketing is about SEO (Search Engine Optimization). It's not easy though. What key words are you gonna home in on??? "Indie film"? There's only 40,500 in monthly global search volume. Whereas "bubble gum" gets 450,000 in global monthly search volume. That tells you that nobody is searching for indie films in general on the internet. You're better off whipping together a page about "naked women" and then promoting your movie web site to death on that site.

Learn FLASH and Dreamweaver too.

I've tried Google Ad Words and Facebook Ads.

Neither was really good for me. I started Google with a free $100 credit when I signed up and cancelled when it was done. Maybe someone else has had good luck with it but I didn't increase sales at all. Even if i had....the money I would have paid Ad Words wouldn't have justified it.

I felt that Facebook actually worked better for me but only in building up my fan page membership. I got people to join the page and now I can email them whenever i want. I stopped after a 30-45 days because the cost didn't justify having "fans" who might not really give a crap.

Mike

Back