Help in downloading footage from a Canon hf200

The computor: Hp touchscreen/windows vista/intel core two
This computor also has a card slot at the side for SD/SDHC/MS/PRO/XD/MMC
Now photos from an SD card download and file no problem.
However the SDHC card that I use for this camera (which I am aware uses an avchd format and has been known to cause grief in this department) does not.
When I plug the camera into the computor it makes that rumbling sound (maybe the wrong choice of word here) to indicate some action is happening, then nothing.
I have downloaded the software that came with this camera AND because I was having problems decided to purchase the Sony vegas program on a whim at a store in hopes that would help. Nothing.
Any and all help would be appriciated!

(Now meanwhile I also have a flip camera which gave me no problems in downloading the footage and editing it - so why this problem with a better camera????)

(It would really be a shame not to be able to download the footage on the Canon Hf200. The other day I took amazing shots of sunset. I also used the Flip which didn't capture the colors as well. Even if I could just make a short short short on sunsets and sunrises it would be awesome because that is what I have on this camera.)

Last edited:
When you open Windows Explorer, can you see the card? If you can, what are the folders you see within the card?

Vegas should have no problem recognizing AVCHD files. When in Vegas, can you go to "Import Media" (under "File") and find them on the card?

ok, so I've got the same camera and here's what I do when I don't have the cord to use the software that came with it for downloading(no idea what that rumbling would be or why it doesn't work, that sounds like a problem that maybe you should get checked out while you've still got a warranty). So when you insert the SD card, don't use the wizard that pops up. Just open the folders.

The order of the folders to click (if it is like mine, and it should be) is this:
PRIVATE > AVCHD > BDMV > STREAM
The .mts files in that folder are your video files and sony vegas can read them (I also use that program), in fact, it's the only program I have that will even preview them.

Just one more very important tip. When you are getting the files from the SD card:
COPY them onto your computer before working with them!
DO NOT MOVE THEM!
DO NOT MESS WITH ANY FOLDERS ON THE SD CARD!
DO NOT RENAME ANYTHING ON THE SD CARD!
DO NOT DELETE ANYTHING ON THE SD CARD! Do this after you put the card back in the camera.

Sorry about the caps, but you do not want to mess with the way the camera formatted the card, it could corrupt all the files for use on your camera. Just trust me, it's a HUGE hassle.

Anyway hope that helps/works for you. If you need some help with the basics on vegas, let me know :)

I am begining to get why someone wouldn't want this camera. Its more trouble and headache than its worth.

Thanks for the replies.

Dreadylocks I followed Private/avchd/bdmv and stream and thats where it ended. From there I don't know what to do to even view an image. I opened up the Sony Vegas but it does nothing for me. When I click the mts files nothing happens and it just states that Windows doesn't recognize them or something. Then it asks if Windows wants to search for something that does recognize them. So I hit media as that was in the list and the only one in the list that might work and all I got was directed to the media area.
I have spent about an hour trying to figure this thing out.

So when I get that list of the .mts files what do I do to view them? and store them and edit them okay, lets start with view. I want to at least know I can view them.

Oh yeah, when I clicked they came on as images only and I got something that popped up asking me to install their software. Strange. They came up as images only though and I didn't install any software that popped up.

and just to add to this nightmare, I now find that the media icons appear alongside the .mts. Apparently when Windows asked me to find an area to open these files, I chose media thinking that that would be the logical choice. So all it did was take me to media which doesn't help at all. So these icons are now alongside the .mts and I don't know how to get rid of them so it doesn't keep directing me to media.

I just don't understand that if I installed the Sony Vegas why it couldn't just automatically recognize something? It seems a tremendous amt of trouble just to dpownload

Import the .MTS files from your camera into your Vegas media pool by going to Project>Import Media and selecting every MTS file from your camera. They will populate the Project Media window in Vegas. To preview, right click on one and select "open in trimmer." Then hit play.

Okay so I put the media card back in this am and went to Vegas/project /import media and no mts file came up at all. I got a list of stuff like encorder profiles/plugins/qmfiles/and a list of stuff I have no idea what it is.
Meanwhile I inserted another sd card taken on someone elses video camcorder. I don't know if its avchd or not but got the same results. Nothing. When I put their card in, a list of the photos they had taken with the card came up and blank where their movies were.

What is so baffling is the trouble it is to download this card. Is it this computor? I cannot seem to get why it has so many issues. I don't want to use that camera until I get it downloaded because right now those sunsets/sunrises on there aren't going anywhere.

So what do I do now? Besides pull my hair out.

I looked it up. So basically my windows has no idea what mts is and I need to purchase software to translate?
I guess I can take a trip to Staples or something.

If I had a Mac I would have no problem? Is this because its digital video or only avchd?

Is this converter what most people have to do?

You shouldn't have to convert MTS files to edit in Vegas on a PC. I edit in Vegas on a PC running Windows Vista with AVCHD MTS files all the time with no problem. I have no idea why you are running into such trouble! I wish I did. The only thing I can think of is that there might be something wrong with the camera or card, and they aren't saving the files as MTS. You've tried alternate cards in your computer...have you tried using your camera/card on someone else's computer? Have you tried connecting your camera up to your computer through USB rather than taking the card out?

Yeah I run into the same problem plugging the camera in.
I now have two different cards. On is Pny1 with 32gbs of memory. Some of which I used for these sunsets/rises and a few other things.
The second card comes from another hd video camera that is an elite pro with 2gbs of footage.
Here is what happens when I put the card in the slot (or plug in the camera):

A small panel pops on the screen that reads: Auto Play
It gives me a list of choices : import pictures using windows / view pics using windows /
view pics using media/ create disc or edit image using dvd suite delux / make muvee with photos using muvee reveal / view download images using canon zoombrower ex/ import media files to local disc using arcsoft (don't even know where that icon came from)/
Then it has under that list a title that reads: General Options and under that list are two choices : Open folder to view folder windows explorer (I tried this one several ways to no sucess) / speed up my system
Then it reads: Set Autoplay defaults in control panal.

I think I have at one point or another tried them all yesterday. I don't know if that panal should be there or it will lead me to downloading this stuff.

Maybe someday.

Its something about the movie here. I got a hold of another card just to see if it was the cards. This 3rd card downloaded the still photos no problem. I erased the images and used a digital still camera to take a movie. Put the card in the slot and that old panal came up again.

Could it be this computor? Its just so strange. Now in the meantime as I mentioned, that flip camera has no problems downloading the images. Of course the problem with that camera is that there seems to be an issue making a disc out of what I film because it doesn't transfer to windows.

This is making me crazy now. This computor should be able to handle hddv right? What is it??? I will be bald soon.

Close the Autoplay window as soon as it pops up. Ignore it. It won't help you. You can't just look at the files by selecting them. Windows Media Player won't play them.

Select which files you want to use by viewing them in your camera and write their MTS file numbers down.

Use Vegas to import the MTS files you selected into your Project Media Window. Open each file in the trimmer to view them and cut them into your movie.

Then render your completed movie onto a DVD.

So I go to Project/Import Media then what? Those mts file numbers don't show up. It asks for file name/file type.
It seems to be the only area I would go - import media but there are no choices available to me to put in an MTS file number. I put the card into the slot, nothing.

Yeah I run into the same problem plugging the camera in.
I now have two different cards. On is Pny1 with 32gbs of memory. Some of which I used for these sunsets/rises and a few other things.
The second card comes from another hd video camera that is an elite pro with 2gbs of footage.
Here is what happens when I put the card in the slot (or plug in the camera):

A small panel pops on the screen that reads: Auto Play
It gives me a list of choices : import pictures using windows / view pics using windows /
view pics using media/ create disc or edit image using dvd suite delux / make muvee with photos using muvee reveal / view download images using canon zoombrower ex/ import media files to local disc using arcsoft (don't even know where that icon came from)/
Then it has under that list a title that reads: General Options and under that list are two choices : Open folder to view folder windows explorer (I tried this one several ways to no sucess) / speed up my system
Then it reads: Set Autoplay defaults in control panal.

I think I have at one point or another tried them all yesterday. I don't know if that panal should be there or it will lead me to downloading this stuff.

Maybe someday.

When you plug the camera into the computer via USB, are you making sure that it is in movie mode, not photo mode? And that you are going to the replay of the clips screen(sorry having a brainfart on what you call that)?
I'm really not sure what the problem is, but if it were me, I'd exchange the whole camera for a new one, sounds like you just got a lemon. I personally love my hf200 and have never had any problems uploading in any way.
Also, why don't you try opening the folder with the mts files in it, then open vegas. Select the .mts files and literally drag and drop them onto the vegas screen where there is a box called 'project media'
Does that work?

Oh and also, do you have all your codecs up to date? Sony Vegas should be able to read the files without help, but I know I already had the most recent codecs when I installed vegas so...
If you download VLC media player, I think it comes with ALL the most recent stuff, the KLite pack and everything. VLC won't read .mts per se(you need to rename it to mpg to do that and it doesn't like it), the only program I can watch my camera footage in is vegas, no previews until then :( unless you count on the camera..

When you go to Import Media, a Windows Explorer-type window opens for you to browse for the files...you should be able to select "Computer" and then select the drive letter assigned to your card. Within that drive letter, you have to further browse into a few folders to get to the MTS files...they are buried; I can't remember where. Select every folder in the card until you get to them. Then highlight them and "Add To Project." If this doesn't work, I'm stumped. Possibilities:

A. The card is corrupted
B. The card reader is broken
C. Your copy of Windows is corrupted and won't assign new drive letters to new drives

I got as far as 'computor' and thats where it ended.
I doubt its the card because that would mean all the cards are damaged and what are the odds of that? Any photos on the cards were downloaded no problem.
The card reader? It could be but even when I plug the camera in, nothing.
If Windows is corrupted then who on earth would I contact? Would I need to take this whole desktop in and have someone work on it?
I am thinking it must be windows because if the card reader was broken, it was still able to read photographs.

As for returning the camera, someone gave it to me. I think they bought it over a year ago online. I doubt its the camera because it can play back all the images on the card no problem.

Thanks all.

Do you know who I would contact about Windows?

. I personally love my hf200 and have never had any problems uploading in any way.
Also, why don't you try opening the folder with the mts files in it, then open vegas. Select the .mts files and literally drag and drop them onto the vegas screen where there is a box called 'project media'
Does that work?

OMG It worked! I cannot believe something like that works! I was losing my skull with this. I just dragged the icons from that box to the sony box and that was all it took.

Thanks. Who wudda thought?

Hey thanks you guys for your help! It turns out to be as easy as you all say it is. Sometimes it takes a bunch of people throwing ideas out there.

Thanks again for your time and effort and if I could pass a beer through the screen I would!

Back