• READ BEFORE POSTING!
    • If posting a video, please post HERE, unless it is a video as part of an advertisement and then post it in this section.
    • If replying to threads please remember this is the Promotion area and the person posting may not be open to feedback.

watch Opening Film Credits

So I've been working on some extra video pieces in my spare time to try and pack out my portfolio ready for interviews for Uni - I've always felt with a lot of student films, the credits often tend to let the video down, as we spend so much time on the main piece, we some times forget the smaller details (and I'm a real whore for fonts - I die a little inside every time I see Papyrus used for a credit's fonts).

So I decided to just dedicate a piece to just making opening credits, in this case for a made up film - a Thriller called "Filters". (The name was nicely inspired by the Video Filters menu on FCP).

Just looking for some critiques or praise really, I'm looking to put this in as something I show at uni interviews - reckon they'll like it, should I change anything? I'm slightly unsure about the final shot, something nags at me about it, though I'm not sure what. Thanks!

http://www.vimeo.com/8342478

The cinematography is exceptional and very cool. The editing and pacing are perfect.

A few minor quibbles, but they are very minor.

#1. The directed by credit is almost always last and you have it first. Not a problem per se, but depending on your intent, it might throw traditionalists off.

#2. Consider a drop shadow on the titles, or at least some of them as they get very hard to read on some of the lighter backgrounds and those credits get less visibility time and hence are not fair in some regards. Another possibility it to invert those images or to darken the overall background footage slightly.

#3. There is one single title card that has the medical drawings composited in and again, depending on the intent, it stands out since there is only a single usage, so it may be interpreted as a mistake or just standing out a lot.

Really, this is incredible work and you should be proud. These feel more like preferential suggestions than "mistakes".

Awesome cinematography, man. Very well done.

For the type, I would suggest making each credit's length on screen consistent with the rest. I noticed a couple times where some credits were on screen for like 5 seconds where others were on screen for only a few moments. Try making them each the same amount of time.

Also make the fading in and out of the type consistent, rather than fading in for one and another with no fade at all. I think this will help unify the piece overall and be less distracting to the viewer.

I would also suggest after switching to a new shot, give the shot a few seconds before fading in the type. This will allow the audience to first focus on the scene and then, as the credit comes on, they will seamlessly move their eyes to the type.

I hope this helps. :)

Ahh you guys have confirmed my thoughts exactly :) The transitions are a little inconsistent (I've been teaching myself FCP so I was relying on simple cross dissolves in past work, save having to learn other ways :P But now have had to step into opacity/fades/filters etc to achieve more professional looks). This was my first time working with the Canon (borrowed :P) so I was limited on shooting time, so the shorter clips are often due to lack of time as opposed to editing decisions. It's been a good piece to get to grips with it all though, I know what to work on for next time!
I should have my next piece finished by next Monday (or my teachers will see that my head rolls) so I might chuck it up here and see what you guys think, and when I can wrangle a spare hour I'm gonna look at implementing the recommended changes!

Thanks again everyone!

Back