• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

Lavalier Mics

Hello to all. I'm back again with a question about wireless lavalier mics. I will mostly be doing sit down interviews for documentaries. I have purchased a JVC GZ-HD300R Everio camera, Sony Vegas Movie Studio 9 Platinum Pro Pack for editing, and a 3 point lighting kit. Now I need sound.

I would like to use two wireless lavalier mics independent of the camera with the ability to record the audio, then transfer it to editing. I have done mad research. There are way to many choices. Any ideas?

Last edited:
All i've used in the past as far as radio mics go is Sennheiser EW 100 G2. You could attach these to a Marantz of some sorts, as long as it has the correct inputs. Expensive stuff though.

Thanks for the info Stake. I was just looking at the Marantz equipment. It is pretty spendy, but I do want the best sound. I plan on using the stuff for a while, and I want the best sond. I check into your info.

Okay, as you said, lots of choices.

For ultra-low budget - and quality that corresponds - a passable recorder would be the Zoom H4n ($300).

If you are truly doing only sit-down interviews and nothing else you can use hard-wired lavs. You want decent quality, so the Countryman EMW series ($200ea) are a good choice. They can be plugged directly into the Zoom H4n. If you want the lavs to be "invisible" you can go with Countryman B3 ($200ea) or B6 ($325ea) lavs; you'll also need adapters to connect them to the Zoom. Other decent brands of hard-wired lavs are Voice Technologies and Tram. If you want to go wireless the Audio Technica ATW systems ($500ea) are okay and the Sennheiser G3 systems ($600ea) are very nice on a budget - although most replace the lavs with the Countryman or Tram.

If that's getting too pricey you can get a cardioid condenser mic like the Oktava MK012 (about $325) and suspend it above and between the interviewer and interviewee. (If you get the Oktava be sure it's the true Russian version and not the Chinese knock-off.)

BTW, the H4n eats batteries like crazy, especially when supplying the phantom power for the mics, so you'll be replacing them every two hours or so unless you use the AC adapter (which does not charge the batteries).

Make sure that you slate and verbally announce each take to assist with syncing in post; and don't forget excruciatingly detailed logs.

Back