Where to go???

Hey everyone,
I'm currently working as a producer in the UK on my first feature film. The principal photography is wrapped and we are now at the stage in editing where the rough cut is completed, the end is in sight and I have to be looking at where to go from here.

The film is first and foremost a twisted take on a romantic comedy, with overtones of horror/thriller... it's hard to summerise without giving away the plot

Anyway I have been compiling a list of UK film festivals that seem decent - Raindance, Edinborough, the times film festival... But I have come unstuck with American festivals, which ones would be interested in a quirky british indie film from a first-time director? which are worth the entry fee? - and should I even be looking at America for the distribution deal that I want?

Please help me by advising me on the above questions - and by recomending any festivals in any country that you think may be of interest to me.

Many Thanks,
SMITH

I don’t know of any festival that specializes in quirky, British
RomCom’s with overtones of horror/thriller from a first time
director. That’s quite a specific type.

It’s my experience that all festivals are interested in good movie
regardless of where they were shot and the genre. The exceptions,
of course, are the genre specific festivals.

You can research by genre on withoutabox.com so I would suggest
trying that site.

I know this isn’t what you asked, but you really should figure out
a way to summaries your movie. All festivals will need to put
something in the program and all distributors will want to read a
summary.

Regarding your distribution question; it’s quite difficult to find
distribution for a movie without names. Of course you (and
everyone here) can point out the rare exceptions to that
statement, but it’s still quite difficult regardless. Of course
you should be looking for American distribution, but the reality
is very few festivals are attended by distributors. And those that
are (the top five) are extremely difficult to get into.

But I’ll post a few names of festivals because that’s what you
asked for:

Ann Arbor
ReelHeART International
Ashland
Newport Beach International
Seattle True Independent
Dances With Films

Film Festivals in the United States and all over the world are mainly designed for extremely dramatic films with a social statement, or Horror Films. I dont know how much horror is in your film, but u might have a better chance at making it into the top tier fests if you have more horror in it, and the story is fresh. All other genre's have a hard time in the fests, and have a better chance going straight into the market. I say this because festivals cost a lot of money and they take up a lot of your time, so you could potentially end up wasting your life away.

Last edited:
Back