• READ BEFORE POSTING!
    • If posting a video, please post HERE, unless it is a video as part of an advertisement and then post it in this section.
    • If replying to threads please remember this is the Promotion area and the person posting may not be open to feedback.

watch My First Film

Hey everyone out in cyberland. This is the first film I made after getting my camera. I shot it from my apartment window. Let me know what you think and if you have any tips for me :)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IR0YOIf_iBY

Have a beautiful day!! Happy filmmaking!!

Like most experimental stuff... I just don't get it. :lol:

Is there a story behind it? Is Grandma tokin' it up at 1:55? Or just biting a fingernail?

I like the music with the creaky wood effect. :cool:

So what's this about? Explain to me. :)

I guess it was more of an exercise for me, this woman made me laugh with her child-size chair and grocery bag she never put down, I wanted to remember it. So I took a couple minutes of her out there and used it as material to hone my mad editing skillz (lol).
So I guess, no, there isn't really meant to be a story, just a moment in time. Oh and she's biting off a fingernail, how I wish it were a toke, that would have been even better!

It was a sweet clip for you to "remember it", but I don't know that I would call it a film, movie or even a video, nothing really happens.

Next try, Tell a story, have a message.

1. The mix.

The accordion is so loud I couldn't hear any dialogue at all.

2. You cast the actors way too old and young for the parts.

3. You shot it during an earthquake.

Other than that it's a masterpiece. I'm sure Les Grossman will produce it.

- And I like the Harry Potterish title at the beginning :)

(Just playin' - I like it. It's been a boring Wed.)

Last edited:
lol. Thanks ROC :P

It took my a min to figure out what you were talking about with the harry potterish comment, but you mean my 'production company' logo sequence thing, right?

The interesting thing in this film is old look but everything is not so clear. To make it so clear I think you should get advice to a screenwriting consultant. My friend is also interested in writing film. He consults with “ezscreenwriting” they provides screenplay help, story consultant, how to write a script, how to write a movie, scriptwriting consultation, professional screen write. So I think they might be helpful also for you.

I nearly had a spastic fit from all that flashing, but started to enjoy the film after a minute.

I think you have the makings of a good DP, Dreadylocks. You'd need to team up with a scriptwriter and a director for structure, but your shots evoke an atmosphere.

What did you film it on?

@Brendon: thanks for the bump, even if it was spam. lol

@Pos: thanks! Yeah if I did this again I would not have just used the raw 'old film' effect and would tweak it a lot. I think the fact that I was filming through a window screen helped give it an SD look. Not that I planned anything for this, hehe

I shot it on my Canon Vixia HF200.

Thanks for the compliment(the DP thing), it's weird I have actually been thinking about what I would be best at, what would be realistic, if I wanted to try and get jobs working with other people. My control-freak side makes me want to be a director, as well as an editor. But I've started thinking that editing may not be my forte. DP has been appealing a lot. Although learning all that lighting is probably the most intimidating part (that and focus wracking, but that's just practice).

I thought this was real nice, you found a character and you filmed her.

I'd have tried to work a little more on the Foley sound, create an ambiance around the character that would let us know a little more about the world she was in- It was hard to distinguish with the music. Although, i know this was a 'window of opportunity' thing', with no planning, so it was pretty cool for what it was.

Second vote on the DP thought, you should certainly look into it.

I thought this was real nice, you found a character and you filmed her.

I'd have tried to work a little more on the Foley sound, create an ambiance around the character that would let us know a little more about the world she was in- It was hard to distinguish with the music. Although, i know this was a 'window of opportunity' thing', with no planning, so it was pretty cool for what it was.

Second vote on the DP thought, you should certainly look into it.

Back