Greetings from Norway. Need help starting up.

Hey guys!

I am a 16-year-old boy from Bergen, Norway who is dreaming about being a succesfull film-director. I have been certain of this for a few years now, but I'm having a hard time starting up. I don't know what I need to learn or know. Does anyone have any suggestions? Any books I should read or websites I should check out?

Thanks.

Last edited:
Welcome UlrikS!

My first suggestion is to get a camera and start filming something. It doesn't have to be an expensive camera, heck it can be a cell phone. The best way to learn how to do something is try to do it.

As for books, there are a ton. If you go to seach on this site, and look for something like books filmmaking you should find some good lists.

Good luck!

Chris

I can help...

Hello;

I was in your position when I began but I can share what I have learn.

There are a lot of information about videography in youtube, just search for your question and you will find an answer.

There are several places and magazines but ia am not sure if I can post the links here. Just search for it with your favorite search engine and you will find a lot of info in the web.

Another thing, try to learn several parts of production at the same time and practice a lot. It is very important to practice. Learn how to shoot a video but at the same time learn how to edit. What I mean is that try to keep everything at the same level. I made a mistake and learned about editing and nothing about videography. But I am working on that.

Try to get a good camera from the beginning if it is possible. There are several good cameras in the market, try to go for a 3CCD camera, and if you can go HD better. But sometimes we work with a limited budget, but at least try to get a 3CCD, this camera has 3 optical sensors, one for each color, RED, BLUE and GREEN this produces more resolution and better colors. Sometimes you can find a used camera in good working conditions.

Try to get a Tape (MINI DV), hard drive or memory camera. If you use a DVD camera it will only give you 20 minutes in Hi Res video.

Use the camera in the best recording resolution. It uses more media but it looks better at the end. I Prefer this setting.

There are important adjustments in your camera, ALWAYS ADJUST THE WHITE BALANCE, that compensates for changes in light color specially indoors. There are other adjustments, you can find out in the web.

Lighting is very importatant too outdoors and indoors, You can find instructional video clips in the web about this topic.

Well, keep me posted about you progress, I hope your dreams come true

Stan

Welcome Grasshopper!

I'm one of the audio guys here.

Keep in mind that the search function is your friend. Everyone here is always very glad to help you out, but a lot of the "basics" questions have been asked and answered many times.

And always remember:

"Sound is half of the experience"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/WCyJRXvPNRo&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/WCyJRXvPNRo&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

"Old man, how is it that you hear these things?"

"Young man, how is it that you do not?"

On the audio side of things:

Sound Design: The Expressive Power of Music, Voice and Sound Effects in Cinema - David Sonnenschein

The Sound Effects Bible - Ric Viers

The Foley Grail - Vanessa Theme Ament

Dialogue Editing for Motion Pictures - John Purcell

I have all of them and they are excellent.

You should also lose yourself in filmsound.org for a few days - lots of history, interviews, definitions and some fun stuff as well.

You may not end up doing these things - then again you may - but you have to understand the process and how guys & gals like me think. Audiences will forgive a lot visually if your sound is solid.

Back