Is this even an issue anymore?

I remember when 24p became popular, there was an issue with "stuttering" when shooting quick pans, or fast action. Is this still an issue with the HD cameras that are available now? In particular, the JVC 200u? My next feature will be an action film in the same vein as the Bourne Identity series if that helps. Just trying to see what my options are going to be. Camera budget is $10,000 or less and we don't want to rent.
Thanks in advance!

-El

I used to own the HD200. I never had the problems you mention. I
currently own the HM700 and the HM100. I used both to shoot “The
Amazing Race”. I didn’t notice any “stuttering” when shooting
quick pans or fast action.

I don't think newer HD cams have that issue...but I think still-based cameras do...like the 5D and 7D. Just something to think about.

Last edited:
With cameras like the 5D, it's not so much the stuttering that's an issue. However, in quick pans, one can easily see the so called rolling shutter effect. The foundry has a good explanation and offers a Plugin for After Effects to fix these problems:
As parts of the image are recorded at different times, fast-moving objects, or objects that pass quickly through frame during camera whip-pans, become distorted with diagonal skews. Other typical distortions include image wobbles created when cameras are hand-held, and exposure problems with flashing or strobing lights.
More Info here

Back