60i vs 30p?

Which frame rate should I use for my Canon Vixia HF100? I have a choice of 60i, pd30, or pd24. Does anyone know the difference and which ones better?

Last edited:
60i means 60 fields per second, interlaced. This is the standard NTSC video rate.

pd30 I'm guessing is the same as 30p, which means 30 frames per second, progressive.

One NTSC video frame is comprised of 2 video "fields", with each field containing half the image in the form of alternating scanning lines (odd numbered lines in one field, even numbered in the other). Interlaced video scans one set of lines, then goes back and fills in the other set. Progressive video digitally stores both sets of lines and displays them all at the same time.

24p (or pd24 -- maybe pd means "progressive digital", not sure) is designed to approximate the 24fps film rate (NTSC video is 30fps). If you want a "film look" this will help create that illusion.

One setting is not better than the other, necessarily; it depends on what you're trying to achieve. Technically, 60i displays the smoothest image, but it has that clean "video look". If you don't mind that, use 60i. It's also easy to deal with because it will play on any type of equipment. If you want that film-ish flicker, use 24p. 30p is sort of an in-between rate. I've personally never had occasion to use it, but maybe someone else here can give an example of when it would be desirable.

Back