New at Filming

Hi, I've always wanted to film since I was litte. Now, I am old enough to atleast get some experience and to make sure that i want to pursue my dream. But, i have a few questions on my first camera.

My budget is quite small at the moment because I want to make sure I enjoy it. Not looking for like the best camera, just something that I can use for experience until I get money and such.

Budget: At most $350

What type (DVD, Flash, Hard drive, HD, or flash) is best for filming movies?

Any favored cameras for this budget (even though it is a cheap budget)?

What kind of accessories should I invest in?

Thanks for reading and future replies. Have a good one =)

for $350 range, all cameras are alike. for formats, starting out, mini DV is the best. Stay far away from the dvd format.

accesories would be extra batteries and a tripod

for $350 range, all cameras are alike. for formats, starting out, mini DV is the best. Stay far away from the dvd format.

accesories would be extra batteries and a tripod

Beat me to it!
Even though i guess i'm still considered a starter, my first "film" was done with a $300 camera. from there i grew to my two current Canon GL2s.
they are not that great for film, but tweaking the footage in post production helps alot.

Hey Tank,
The only concern I'd have with that camera, even if you're just starting out is that it lacks a mic input. At some point you're going to need it. In this price range, I recommend the Canon ZR 800. Has everything you need to get started-MiniDV, Widescreen, Mic Input, Manual Controls for Focus, Exp, and Whitebalance (through menus, but still). I even shot a feature with it and it performed wonderfully.

As CD said, all cameras in your price range will be exactly the
same. They will be missing the very important feature of a
microphone input but all their general features and their picture
quality will be exactly the same. Since that’s all you can afford
the Sony you link to is a fine starter camera. Check the Flip
camera and cameras from Canon, Panasonic, Sharp and Samsung.

The zr900 is a good starter. At this point you really just need a mic input (with mic), manual focus, a tripod, a story, and some folks to be in it. It is a slightly older model, so you should shop around a bit for the best pricing, I bet you can find one for less than on Amazon. You'll need some extra cash for a couple cases of MiniDV tape anyway.

For example:

Not affiliated with this seller, though he does have decent feedback:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Mint-Canon-ZR90...rofessional_Video_Cameras?hash=item2557d942f6

Well, I would like to thank all of that had givens me advice on what to get and such. It was all very helpful. I ordered the ZR900 and it should be in soon. So hopefully, one day I will be making movies and have knowledge to help others like you all helped me.

Merry Christmas or Happy Holidays!

Back