which camera?

hi all,

I have decided to upgrade my camera for my next productions.

I need to know which is the cheapest digital camera that gives better quality than 16mm film camera.

regards,
Ace.Inc1

LOL! Cheapest digital you can buy, and better than motion picture film.

You need to read the camera forum posts. Lots of good info.

A Canon 7D can be had for $1900, which includes a kit lens to get you started.

Folks,

I was reading product descriptions on amazon.com and found some digital camcorders better than 16mm motion picture camera in quality of the visuals.

I just did not write the names back then so I was thinking you might know any.

Regards,
Ace.Inc1

Define "Better."

Product descriptions on Amazon are not the best way to evaluate the image quality of a camera. You were probably looking at DSLR cameras with HD recording, right? Google "Rolling Shutter" and watch a view samples online. It's not a deal breaker, but it is one factor in image quality and common to CMOS cameras, which includes DSLR cameras and solid state video cameras in the $<2000 range. And some expensive ones as well. There are other parameters you should think about, but much of that has already been covered.

The question you should be asking is: What cameras are solid, have good image quality and color response, use solid state memory of some sort, and cost under $X, where X is the maximum money you are willing to spend.

Remember that you are also asking people to compare Vinyl to an MP3. :lol: Not to imply one is better than the other - just that they are perceived differently depending on the tastes of the viewer.

Search "What camera" or similar phrases on this board and you'll have lots of reading to do.

I mean motion picture cameras. am I on the wrong forum?

Ace.Inc1

I still have no idea what you are asking.

You want to buy the cheapest HD non-prosumer professional motion picture camera that rivals 16mm and is available on amazon.com?

You're comparing apples to oranges. I've never seen a digital camera description that even mentioned 16mm film either. Why bother? It's totally different.

Please post your budget for a camera. That will help. Then you will receive options.

I think everyone is confused because you want something that looks better then 16mm, when film & digital look different. So your not going to get a digital camera that looks better then film, because there arnt any.

That's not saying there are very good looking digital video cameras.

I mean motion picture cameras. am I on the wrong forum?
Okay, the motion picture camera that's better than 16mm is
a 35mm camera. The very first answer you got.

The cheapest "digital" camera (which is what you asked about)
is most likely the RED at $30,000 to $60,000.

You're on the right forum, you're asking confusing questions.

What price range are you looking to spend? Are you asking about
a digital motion picture camera or a film motion picture camera?

My two cents--

As metioned, the RED is a solid option, and if handled properly can match (or even exceed) the quality of 16mm...my opinion. If you can't afford that...you're not going to rival the overall 'quality' of image to 16mm.

There are some very solid $5000 cameras out there which produce some excellent images. Add a lens to that, and you're looking pretty damn good.

I think we are slightly lost in translation here, as mentioned before. Your questions are confusing.

Good luck.

cool it folks, don't get angry at me.

you see, I cannot import from USA directly. I have to buy one available in India. so I was looking for model names.

I found one model, sony pd-170.

http://www.amazon.com/Sony-Professional-DSR-PD170-Camcorder-Optical/dp/B0001851PA

something in this range will do. I cannot mention price in USD because I have to pay in INR.

regards,
ace.inc1

No one is angry with you. We are all tryng to help you. We need
more information form you to help you better.

I own the Sony PD170. It's an excellent camera. It is not better
quality than 16mm so I would have never given you that model
number based on your first question.

In that price range check out the Canon XH-A1s 3CCD, the Panasonic
AG-HMC150, the Sony HVR-V1U and the one I like the best (the
camera I own) the JVC GY-HM100U.

I was checking the hd red one website and found that in the accessories they had not given a tripod. I am new in the high-end models. would someone enlighten me on why they haven't given a tripod in their list.

regards,
Ace.Inc1

Because RED is not in the business of selling tripods, dollies, jibs, microphones, lights, etc.

RED sells cameras, and the accessories necessary for operation of those cameras; lenses, batteries, viewfinders, etc.

Should you opt to purchase a RED, be aware they are very heavy, so you'll need a heavy duty tripod to handle it. And along with the heavy duty sticks, you'll want a high-end fluid head, or a gear head. And if you're thinking about shooting hand held footage, your camera operator had better be in shape, running around with a red will get tiring quickly.

Back