• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

Does light influence sound?

Hi all!

I heard that some lighting ( I think it was backlight) can mess up the audio? Is that true? I might be wrong, is there anything else that I should be aware of? Something that might influence sound?(quality of the sound). If that's true could you explain how to prevent it from happening. :)

:huh:

Maybe you mean can "light fixtures" influence sound..

yes, dimmers, transformers, and other bits all produce electrical noise, which can AND WILL get picked up by your sound equipment. Sound Guys HATE THAT! When I record music in my home studio, I have to go into the basement and turn off the cheap florescent fixtures!

Also be aware of 60-cycle hum (or the equivalent in your part of the world) from power draws bleeding into your sound track. Use shielded mic cable and don't let it run parallel to electric cables.

Another way I know that lighting can affect audio is the sometimes awkward positions the boom op has to undergo in order to avoid casting shadows and reflections that are visible to camera.

Geez, I hope so! :) I dont wanna experience any sound interference while recording, although its hard NOT to. Batteries? Well about audio, I hope the NTG-2 runs on batteries. lol

Back