• READ BEFORE POSTING!
    • If posting a video, please post HERE, unless it is a video as part of an advertisement and then post it in this section.
    • If replying to threads please remember this is the Promotion area and the person posting may not be open to feedback.

watch SMALLTOWN --official trailer *must see

SMALLTOWN --official trailer

Hey everyone. Here is a project I'm very excited about. I had the opportunity to play a wickedly cool character in this film, and for that I'm greatful.

I think it's photographed really well, and the cast is awesome.

Shot on RED.

Enjoy:

http://www.vimeo.com/7985307

Last edited:
Not bad at all. A little bit bizarre but still kind of neat. If I was to critique this tho it looks somewhere between a high end indie to a medium quality Hollywood film. That being said. The color and look of the film seems a little bit off to me. If this was corrected to give a more film/Hollywood look it would be awesome. The push that happens in the trailer of when the woman gets pushed while holding on to a stroller was not that great. Actually it was her fall and reaction that weren't great. The angles and composition of the shots seem pretty good.

Also was this a short or is this going to be an actual movie? The montage of scenes are good just that if this was a movie trailer I don't know if I would personally want to pay to go see it. Then again that is my personal taste. Others may be more intrigued.

Overall it was a good job. My critique is nitpicking at best as I've seen a lot of films that were shot on the Red One camera that were awful while this one is really well done.

Keep up the good work:)

Last edited:
Not bad at all. A little bit bizarre but still kind of neat. If I was to critique this tho it looks somewhere between a high end indie to a medium quality Hollywood film. That being said. The color and look of the film seems a little bit off to me. If this was corrected to give a more film/Hollywood look it would be awesome. The push that happens in the trailer of when the woman gets pushed while holding on to a stroller was not that great. Actually it was her fall and reaction that weren't great. The angles and composition of the shots seem pretty good.

Also was this a short or is this going to be an actual movie? The montage of scenes are good just that if this was a movie trailer I don't know if I would personally want to pay to go see it. Then again that is my personal taste. Others may be more intrigued.

Overall it was a good job. My critique is nitpicking at best as I've seen a lot of films that were shot on the Red One camera that were awful while this one is really well done.

Keep up the good work:)

Thank you for the reply and for the comments. The movie is feature-length. They are done with principle, and needed to get a little more cash to finish with pickups and post. While I think a lot of this film is done right...I'm sure a few things could be better--this is still a fledgling film company that's making it. I think they've only done one feature and a handful of shorts before.

I thought the color correction was good. I have no problem with it. Personally, I don't like some digital films that cake on the filters for an uber film look...this can be with general grading or correcting or with post filters, and is obviously necessary to achieve a pleasing finished product...but there are a lot of companies out there that color correct the ba-jeezes out of their films...and the end product is much weaker I think.

I agree the push and fall are awkward. And I actually picked that little bit apart too...but in the end, I decided that the whole film is awkward...odd...and that it was actually pretty damn funny to me. You have to remember, that scene is *way* slowed down...in fast motion, it may look great. [edit: the fall looks aweful...yup]

I personally think the trailer does a great job of both creating an odd, dystopian atmosphere, and suggests some pretty cool moments that occur. Hell, I'm a bit bias I know...

They have a second version of the trailer I wish they'd release also, which contains more dialog and actual in-film scenes. I hope they release that too.

In this version you can see me a few times in the trailer, the most recognzable is when the camera is spinning around the kiss shot...I'm the dude that is half man half women in the generals outfit with long hair and a sword. They didn't want to show me much...so I'm more of a surprise to the audience for my first scene--at least that's what I assume. My most challenging role yet...definitely. Enjoyed the hell out of it. My character is the leader of group of outcast freaks...fun stuff.

Anyway. Thanks for listening and watching.

Last edited:
I think this looks wonderful. I would want to see it. Only thing is I hope there is a good story to go with all this weird stuff.

Thanks for sharing.

Wow, production design! Actors of all ages! Thought-out cinematography!

This was cool. My only concern is length vs. image. To me, a trailer of this length should reveal more of the story, but just enough to make want to experience the whole story. Although the mood was awesome and the style somewhat compelling, I'm not really itching to see the rest of it because I have no idea whether or not I will care about anybody or care what happens to any of them. To me, these images would serve a 1 minute teaser much better...set up an insanely curious mood with only the best of the best slow motion images of violence.

btw, the stroller lady getting pushed looks fine...check out the scene when Alex flogs Dim in the nutsack and throws him in the water in Kubrick's Clockwork Orange for reference.

Wow the cinematography is great and the whole thing looks excellent. I thought the trailer was a little long but other than that I'm intrigued. This looks weird, violent, and funny. I really want to see it when it comes out.

It looks pretty good for the most part. I have seen better looking images on RED, but overall, its still looks good, regardless of what it was shot on. I agree with CDCosta though, I don't really get much from it. I think Indie films usually end up with ineffective trailers. The trailer gives me no story. A trailer should be almost like a short film version of the movie, but ending just before the climax. I want to know what the movie is ABOUT, not just see things that HAPPEN in it. I need a story to be enticed by. Fortunately, it was weird enough that I watched the whole thing, but again, I don't know anything about the intentions of the film, so I'm not sure I'd want to even see it. The trailer needs to play out with a beginning, middle and end (more of an open end, wanting me to watch the movie to see what happens) to entice the viewers. I feel that many indies have this fault, and show montages of random events that have no meaning to the viewer, since there is no story presented. Anyway, trailer aside, the movie looks pretty good from a cinematography standpoint. It also look really messed up, but interesting, I just wish there was a trailer that would show me more of the story so I would know if I really wanted to watch it or not.

It looks pretty good for the most part. I have seen better looking images on RED, but overall, its still looks good, regardless of what it was shot on. I agree with CDCosta though, I don't really get much from it. I think Indie films usually end up with ineffective trailers. The trailer gives me no story. A trailer should be almost like a short film version of the movie, but ending just before the climax. I want to know what the movie is ABOUT, not just see things that HAPPEN in it. I need a story to be enticed by. Fortunately, it was weird enough that I watched the whole thing, but again, I don't know anything about the intentions of the film, so I'm not sure I'd want to even see it. The trailer needs to play out with a beginning, middle and end (more of an open end, wanting me to watch the movie to see what happens) to entice the viewers. I feel that many indies have this fault, and show montages of random events that have no meaning to the viewer, since there is no story presented. Anyway, trailer aside, the movie looks pretty good from a cinematography standpoint. It also look really messed up, but interesting, I just wish there was a trailer that would show me more of the story so I would know if I really wanted to watch it or not.

I couldn't agree more. I think this version was cut as more of a teaser. I have a lot of faith in the post-prod house, and I'm confident they will put out another more traditional trailer at some point.

There definitely is a story in this film, and it's quite interesting.

This currently trailer--aside from acting like a teaser--is meant to showcase the town...almost like the town is the main character (which believe it or not, is actually a plot point in the film).

Thanks guys for the positive feedback and honest critiques.

It's all about the marketing. You don't need to have a traditional trailer to entice people to see the movie. Lately I think they have been giving away way to much in Hollywood trailers.

Leaving almost everything ambiguous is often a strong tactic, or revealing different things over time. Given, in this particular situation though, I would also want to see what the story was before I spent my time in the theatre.

Okay so kids sell guns at lemonade stands, strippers dance in coin-op machines, random violence ensues, and some dude with a huge boner is laughing. Then, some sort of demon at the end, possibly? I don't get much more. Been to small towns never seen this so I think you need to show the plot. Is it horror? As in the demon is causing all this? I'd rather you not answer that and cut a better trailer.

Okay so kids sell guns at lemonade stands, strippers dance in coin-op machines, random violence ensues, and some dude with a huge boner is laughing. Then, some sort of demon at the end, possibly? I don't get much more. Been to small towns never seen this so I think you need to show the plot. Is it horror? As in the demon is causing all this? I'd rather you not answer that and cut a better trailer.

The demon is one of Smalltown's 'bosses'...he's a hardcore rasta type...wearing war paint lit by blacklight in his den.

There aren't any small towns like this...this is after a massive economic crash...what has become of small town America after the dust settles.

I agree, the trailer could use some work as far as story...if that's what you hanker for. I mentioned before that there is a second trailer that has already been cut...more narrative...perhaps they'll post that soon.

Thanks guys.

It's all about the marketing. You don't need to have a traditional trailer to entice people to see the movie. Lately I think they have been giving away way to much in Hollywood trailers.

Leaving almost everything ambiguous is often a strong tactic, or revealing different things over time. Given, in this particular situation though, I would also want to see what the story was before I spent my time in the theatre.

I agree with you on this devhaven. A lot of film trailers have been giving away a lot - and possibly too much - but it leads up so much story and leaves you hanging that you want to go see it. This trailer due to its disturbing images is almost there, it is effective as a teaser to an extent, but just needs a little story weaved throughout. It doesn't have to give much away at all, but just SOMETHING.

I agree with Uranium. The whole thing looks outstanding, but it might need a little more story to look like a complete trailer instead of just a montage of weird, cool stuff.

I agree with Uranium. The whole thing looks outstanding, but it might need a little more story to look like a complete trailer instead of just a montage of weird, cool stuff.

Ya, I spoke with the director last night, and he agrees. This first version is definitely more of a teaser. They are cutting another more traditional trailer soon.

Thanks guys.

Back