• READ BEFORE POSTING!
    • If posting a video, please post HERE, unless it is a video as part of an advertisement and then post it in this section.
    • If replying to threads please remember this is the Promotion area and the person posting may not be open to feedback.

watch A short and two features

Hi, please check out some of my recent work if you have the time. The first two were filmed in Chicago, and the third was made in NY. All were made on a microbudget, and the cast, crew, and musicians worked for free.

A 27 min short film

The Driver Rode Shotgun:
http://www.vimeo.com/7944446

My first feature, "Decomposed," can be rented on netflix or purchased very cheaply on amazon and deepdiscount, and many others, please check it out if you want to see it, it will be a great support to microbudget filmmaking:

Decomposed: http://www.emphasisentertainment.com/Decomposed.htm

And my latest feature, "Novelties," is currently looking for a distributor, but you can check out the film's info and trailer here:

Novelties: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1472209/

Thank you so much for all that check them out.

Last edited:
Interesting trailers. You managed to have a go at them! My hat is off to you.

From the acting perspective, not sure if it's the takes from the trailer, there are a few odd pauses, like if they were getting concentrated to perform the action or say the sentence. It looks a bit unnatural. I saw that a few times on the trailer of decomposed.

I like the stories, they seem very interesting and well thought.

Congrats on all the hard work, I understand how much work goes into shooting shorts, and especially features. You've completed them...the most important part.

I'll be honest...It's hard to watch these films...I get too annoyed at all the little production flaws to really enjoy myself.

None of your films utilize any kind of lighting setups. All of your lighting is practical--and as we all know, practical is boring, ineffective, and flat. I don't want to squint at noisy images and decipher details...

Your sound design is minimal to say the least. Some times, you can hear dialog fine, which sounds like it was miced...but then other times it wasn't miced, or the mic was sitting across the room capturing nat. You have to have a consistent level for dialog. In addition to dialog, your other sound design elements are non-existent. I highly doubt any foley was done while making this film. And lastly the music: some of your songs work, some don't...but my main problem is how you work with the music. As soon as dialog erupts, you slam a butchers knife down on the music track...that will certainly bring audiences out of the moment. You have to transition from scene to scene and shot to shot...consistent yet form-fitting.

Your acting is amateur as well--which doesn't help the production value of any film. But hey...it is what it is. You guys are making movies, and not letting anything get in your way...which regardless of having a love-hate relationship with, I can't help but respect.

I won't go into the writing...the ideas seem campy and odd...but I'll not place judgment because I've not seen the pictures yet.

I know this critique is rough...but I believe in talking about what can be fixed, as opposed to sugar-coating and ego stroking.

I hope I've helped. Keep 'em coming!

I really appreciate the feedback. Over a 130 views and only two responses. I would like more, even if they're bad which I'm assuming with the overly critical film buffs on this forum, they mostly would be.

backlash, thank you for the positive comments on the stories. I was actually pleased though with the actors I got, they all worked very hard for non-paid films. I've worked with a lot of people, and I thought they all did a great job with their performances.

Everything will all come down to opinion, in terms of Michael's on the acting and the writing, and that's just how art goes.

But in terms of the technical and production comments, I couldn't agree more, believe me. I utilize what I have and can/know how to do, but of course I know the lighting, sound, etc would be vastly improved with more experienced people and equipment.

Though I'm actually a fan of natural lighting, because I want a microbudget film like mine to look practical, normal. But I know, good lighting...can make something with a zero budget look great. I chose this because of the budget and I'm happy with it, but if I had a choice, obviously I'd take the one that gave me great lighting.

With sound, I'm content with how it turned out knowing what I have, but yes, ideally again, better sound would've been a lot better.

But for working with absolutely no budget and actors working for free, I'm pleased with what I was able to do. And the fact that someone wanted to distribute Decomposed, is a nice reassurance.

Thank you again for responding.

If you'd like to check out the whole movies, and delve your teeth into more criticism (constructive I hope), you can watch the films in their entirety here for free. For Decomposed, download the windows media file, for Novelties, windows media. These of course aren't as good as DVDs, but for the size, they're not bad.

http://www.archive.org/details/DecomposedFullMovie
http://www.archive.org/details/NoveltiesEntireMovie

Last edited:
Back