Taking It To The Next Step

Hello, I have made a couple of short experimental films with my buddies just to get a basis on filmmaking with a JVC Everio camera. I hate it with a deep passion and am finally putting it on the shelf. I am wanting to upgrade to a HD Handycam or a Prosumer camera. I will be using the video camera for shorts, along with other indie films, then moving into feature length films. I want to get into filmmaking as a career and need some sort of decent camera to get me started. Any tips or suggestions are more than welcome. My budget is around 2,000 and under.

Thanks,

Hello Lad.

This is the one I always suggests as the most bang for your buck. Panasonic DVX 100 A/B is amazing. HD quality is very good and the user interface is simple but very unique. It runs any where from 1,200 to 2,000 USD ($)

Please for godsakes, do not spend $1,000+ on a handycam....

You should seriously consider renting before making any decision. You can check out a blog here: http://www.indietalk.com/blog.php?b=84

Most people think HD is better then SD, no matter what, which is very untrue. You will get a better image from an SD DVX then an HD handycam. It's almost like the debate betwenn 4K and Film/HD and Film.

If you are serious about making film a career path, you will be kicking your ass in a year or so if you buy a $1000 handycam.

I'm the advocate of buying.

Owning even a $1,000 camera allows the filmmaker
to make more shorts on their way to a feature. Being
able to shoot when the actors and crew become
available is an asset. Being able to shoot every weekend
is an asset. If you make 8 shorts on a year on a $1,000
camera I believe that's better and more experience than
renting a camera for the same amount and shooting
one or two movies.

When you're ready to shoot your feature is where I agree
with CDCosta - rent!

Until then you need to look for two very important features
in a camcorder:
A mic input and manual controls of focus, iris and shutter.

Make sure you budget for a shotgun mic!

That little Sony you linked to would make a fine starter
camera.

I agree with you Dir, but If you are going to make a bunch of shorts for practice, then buy a $300 camera, cause it will make no difference if it's shot on a $300 or $3,000 camera.

It all depends on the person and situation.

Back