• READ BEFORE POSTING!
    • If posting a video, please post HERE, unless it is a video as part of an advertisement and then post it in this section.
    • If replying to threads please remember this is the Promotion area and the person posting may not be open to feedback.

watch The Mix-In Trailer 2!

Hi everyone! I just finished our second trailer for our first feature film, "The Mix-In." After the great tips I got on the last trailer's posting, I tried to implement some of the things you guys suggested :D

I would love to hear everyone's thoughts on this one:

http://www.vimeo.com/7924233

Ya, I gave kudos before...it looks pretty darn good. And I like the casting--I can take your film seriously, because your cast are adults, and they all look the part. Casting approprately is often over-looked in indie film...which I think is a shame.

Good luck with this. Good stuff.

Thanks guys :)

dvdguy I use a Sony HVR-V1 primarily. Our back-up was a Canon HV30, but we only used 4 shots from that camera in the whole film.

What is your opinion on Canon XL 2? How would you compare your Sony and the Canon cam?

Well, for standard DV, I think you'll be hard pressed to find a better camera than the XL 2 for the price. It's simply a great camera.

If you mean comparing the Sony V1 and the Canon XL 2, I prefer the V1. I love shooting in HD, and I love the features that the V1 has, including true 24p. The one advantage the XL 2 has is the interchangeable lens system, which rocks. Sony offers this on their near-$10,000 camera line, but not anything sub-$5000, at least not that I'm aware of.

If you were meaning comparing the V1 with the HV30, there really are many huge differences. First up, is the 3-chip vs. 1-chip, which puts the V1 ahead right off the bat. The HV30 is a great little camera, but there are a lot of limitations to using a 1-chip camera. This is most evident in color correcting. The shots I did use from the HV30 in the film, once color corrected, had some artifact issues and did not have the depth that the shots from the V1 had. They seemed flat and lifeless in comparison. Another big issue I found was in white balancing, where the HV30 seemed to be more on the cool side, which throws everything off in color correction.

Yet another problem was in adjusting the f-stop. Correctly exposed using a light meter, the Canon was always brighter and more blown-out than the Sony. This always was a source of frustration to try and get correctly exposed shots from the Canon.

Last but not least was the 24p feature of the HV30 and the required workflow for Final Cut Pro 6. Using the V1, I simply capture the footage and begin editing, with no additional steps. The HV30 however, required capture at 29.97 fps, then to be brought into Compressor to have the 24p pulled out, and then re-imported into the FCP workflow, causing a full generation of loss before you can even begin editing on it. Now, I looked all over to find a native workflow, but I could not. Maybe FCP 7 has one, I'm not sure, but I could not find one for FCP 6.

I would take the V1 any day for doing professional work. For family home movies and fun stuff, I would take the HV30.

I liked the 2nd trailer much more then the first, save the title sequences. THe first trialers titles were much better quality, as to the second one looks like just some FCP text boxes were thrown in.

I think the film looks great, good casting, sound, some nice lighting, etc.

Theres just one thing that bothers me most about it, and is one of the few things from making it look very well done; The color correction.

I'm not sure who did the color correction, but each shot in both your trailers looks soooooo different, it makes it worse.

Some of them are just over exposed, some are very dedaturated, some have blacks crushed, etc, etc.

Please, please, please, dont tell me its a 'stylistic' effect.

Ya, the grading and correction was kinda all over the place...yes a film should be graded shot for shot...but they should remain consistent.

I don't think it was horrid though...it didn't jump out at me right away. Maybe that's because so many film makers (digital shooters) love to splash massive correction and grading on their projects now'adays. If done well, I don't mind this at all...just saying.

The reason I'm asking for the comparison is because I want to buy a good camera for professional work one day, but the budget has to be below $ 5000.

Yeah the color correction is still a work in progress lol. Some of it is intentional, but only the drastic difference in the flashback shots that are in Ginger's office (the dreamy looking shots), but yeah, the rest really needs to be more balanced.

Back