Cheap HD cameras

So, I want to buy a good 1080p camera. Although my budget is small ($200-$500) I know I want something small with some good manual controls and good enough quality to be used for a feature film? It also must have an external microphone jack.

I'm looking at the Sanyo Xacti HD1010, it has a microphone jack, 1080p/30fps, 720p/60fps. It looks rather nice, i'm wondering how it compares to something like a higher end HD camcorder. ;)

I'm looking at the Sanyo Xacti HD1010, it has a microphone jack, 1080p/30fps, 720p/60fps. It looks rather nice, i'm wondering how it compares to something like a higher end HD camcorder. ;)

None of these cameras can truly compare to the more expensive cameras. It will be HD 1080, but you are shooting with a camera that does not have the control, sensitivity, or even pixels and detail that the nicer cameras are offering. That's why they cost more.

Do the best with what you have, but do not expect it to be something it is not. Some of these cameras get amazing pictures, but asking them to perform miracles ain't gonna happen.

I shoot BEHIND THE SCENES and other things with my little Canon HV20. I always thought it was amazing until I had to intercut it with footage from a Sony Z1 and seeing the same types of sets, colors, buildings, people, clothes, etc - there was no comparison because the Sony was so much sharper and more detailed with a broader color range. The Canon HV20 looks great on it's own, but putting it side by side really showed the difference.

I'm waiting to see if Nikon releases a DSLR with 1080 capability (Canon is currently wiping the walls with them in this area), but I'm also a still photographer, hence the DSLR route.

Back