Redrock M2 Encore

A very newb question.

I wanted to establish a film-like look, so I purchased a Redrock M2 Encore cinema adapter kit. It seems like I put everythin together, but I think I need another lens. It is in the order of 1. canon xh-a1 camera body, 2. lens that come with it, 3. red rock cinema adapter, and 4. NONE.

Now, I am supposed to purchase anohter lens for this right? to be attached to that cinema adapter. After spending an hour putting together that thing, I felt pretty stupid. Please let me know.

Daniel

Yes.

You'll need to buy a lens mount ring adapter, if im not mistaken; which will be around $100 or so. (I didn't check the website, its just an estimate from what Letus prices are)

The adapter ring lets you mount differnt types of lenses; I.E Canon, Nikon, PL, etc.

Then you need to buy 35mm lenses to put on. Which will run you anywhere from $100-$20,000

[Camera][Camera lens][35mm Adapter][lens ring][Lens]

ah ha. thank you for the quick response.

I went to Canon website and they offer only one type of camcorder lens. I should be able to mount any type of EF lenses that they normally sell for DSLR cameras, right?

You can also use non EF (old school manual) lenses. Nikon glass is pretty popular for the RedRock and other adapters. Also a little less expensive to pick up lenses. Sometimes you can find nikon primes for fairly cheap and in decent condition on eBay and the like.

Do you have a specific lens mount ring yet?

LiveLens active lens mount for Canon EF lenses

This is what I have. I have mounted my very basic lens that was attached to my DSLR and I can see inside the lens. I mean my viewing window is right in the middle if I divided the screen by 9 rectangles. How do I troubleshoot this one?

and um.. I know this may be absurd but I still have to ask.

When you say put on a 35mm lens,

do I buy a lens that is only 35mm or buy a lens that the 35mm falls in the range that it provides?

You can buy whatever lens you want that fits. Most cinematographers have multiple prime lenses and zooms. If you can only afford one get a zoom.

LiveLens active lens mount for Canon EF lenses

This is what I have. I have mounted my very basic lens that was attached to my DSLR and I can see inside the lens. I mean my viewing window is right in the middle if I divided the screen by 9 rectangles. How do I troubleshoot this one?

If I am reading this right, it sounds like you are seeing the inside of the RedRock. Collimation is the fancy term for setting it up right. Also, I forgot to ask, but are you using the RedRock add on that flips the image right side up into the camera or just the M2 by itself?

Adjust your camera zoom until you only see the image plane without vignetting. Once you know it, jot down the Z number in your display so that you have a reference point when attaching the adapter. Once you have set it, turn the zoom ring off (if possible) and tape it in position with camera tape (even if it can be turned off).

Once that is set, turn the adapter off and wait until the ground glass stops spinning so that you can see the grain. With a bright-ish background, adjust camera focus until the grain of the glass is clear and sharp. This is your back focus, tape this off each time you setup the Red Rock as well to prevent it from drifting while you are shooting.

I think the Red Rock also has a collimation feature on the mount ring (between adapter and camera) that adjusts the distance between the image plane in the adapter and the image plane in the camera. I've never used that feature for optical adjustment, I've always just locked it down and set backfocus on the camera.

I have worked with DPs who lock the camera aperture wide open and only make adjustments at the outer lens, and I have also worked with DPs who will make minor adjustments to the camera aperture on the fly - which makes things interesting as an AC since you have to be diligent and keep track of what your DP is fiddling with during each shot.

Second Question:

When we say 35mm lens, we mean format not focal length. You can get any focal length (18mm, 24mm, 50mm, 85mm, etc) prime or as indietalk mentioned zooms as well. The adapter you have is setup for 35mm still format lenses (as opposed to PL mount 35mm Cine lenses or medium format still lenses, or whatever.) The kicker is the ring. Since you have the Canon EF mount for the red rock, those are the lenses you should seek.

Last edited:
Back