Actors Entitled to Free DVD?

Hey everyone.

My question is: do you think all actors that worked on a set are entitled to a free copy of the DVD? Regardless of the time spent on set, and whether or not the film was picked up for distro. What about if it's not in the initial contract the actor signed? No matter what the budget?

Is it the right thing to do?

Thanks.

This is the standard compensation for every movie I've ever directed. We usually go the "all-volunteer army" route and your contract states that your compensation is credit and one DVD copy. This goes for all crew, too.

If they have worked for free - which enables the filmmaker
to make a movie he would not be able to make - then a
free DVD and selected scenes in a standard format used by
most NLE's is, in my opinion, essential. Contracted or not,
it's the right thing to do for people who have donated their
time and talent.

If they're in the credits, they get a copy.
smiley_colbert.gif

Someone trying to weasel you out of a copy, for some small bit-part or sumthin'?

Reminds me, though, a friend of mine worked on a film where everyone got an email when the film was finished. They were offered a copy at half retail. :huh:

If they're in the credits, they get a copy.

Hell, yes! On EXILE, my actors got 2 copies, each. They were also paid. Anyone in the credits is welcome to a copy.

On THE AWAKENING, we only paid for 3 days (then ran out of money), so we gave the actors 2½ DVDs for each day they worked. Some people were getting 16 or 17 DVDs. The idea was to give them at least $50 worth per day. Then, they could either sell them or give them to family and friends.

Damn you better give/get a DVD! Not sure what side you are on this time, are you asking as an actor?

Have to disagree on the crew member one, if they are paid their rate. That can get costly to the filmmaker, and if they were paid their rate, then they should buy one if they are interested.

Not having completed a movie yet: My impression and expectation is that every actor/ress gets a DVD who had a role in the movie*, its basically free promo for you as you know there are going to show friends and family who may want to purchase a DVD for their own.

As for Crew, if they were paid I think I would side with allowing one "at-cost" DVD purchase if they so desire, if they volunteered, again like the actors they would get a free DVD.

* If your movie has a bunch of "extras" who are in only a few scenes but numbers are quite large I understand why they wouldn't get a DVD for free because that could add up quickly; an option of "at-cost" would be more appropriate.

I may be wrong, but that my initial feelings on the matter.

Last edited:

* If your movie has a bunch of "extras" who are in only a few scenes but numbers are quite large I understand why they wouldn't get a DVD for free because that could add up quickly; an option of "at-cost" would be more appropriate.

Exactly, yes. We had a bunch of extras...we couldn't give out to everyone.

It's a tricky thing...which I don't expect everyone to understand. We only give out our DVD to the main principles and leads. The rest (those with fewer lines or no lines) don't automatically get a DVD. Very few people have a problem with this...as we are all in this together. We help each other out when we can...and if this means we buy a DVD to support the cause, and help with the making of the next movie, well then so be it.

I can understand how this may rub people the wrong way...and it has on a few occasions. But the way I look at it is, buying the DVD isn't making the film company rich...it's allowing them to put together the budget on the next piece, which I will probably be involved with anyway.

I have a full time job...right now, I'm not expecting to get paid for acting...I mean if the film takes off and does really well, I definitely would expect compensation if I was a lead...but in most cases, I'm not stressing about it.

Now, this is considering that I know the filmmakers. If I know them, I support them...and they hire me again...it's the wonderful circle of film life. If I don't know them, then I'll expect a copy of the DVD, and ask for it. If I don't get it, I move on and forget about it.

DVDs are cheap - it's more of a time cost - sooo if you don't get one, its generally because someone didn't care/wasn't responsible - its not generally a budget constraint

- welll.... having said that, it maybe if you're silk screening, using high end dvd printing and labeling - but that generally means you have a budget and should have prepared anyway because you have to order that stuff in bulk, and can’t really do it yourself.

My question is: do you think all actors that worked on a set are entitled to a free copy of the DVD? Regardless of the time spent on set, and whether or not the film was picked up for distro. What about if it's not in the initial contract the actor signed? No matter what the budget?

Is it the right thing to do?

Every single person who works on a movie is entitled to a free DVD, even if they were paid.

As far as we're concerned, we make very low budget films and have all-volunteer cast and crew. We're definitely new to all of this, and so far what has seemed to work for us is this - all people who work for us get copy, credit, and meals - I believe that should absolutely be standard.

What we've done, however, is we have more expensive dvd's and packaging materials that we use for sales than the ones we have for press screeners/festival submissions. Cast and crew automatically get a press screener, which is more no-frills, but they have a copy of the film to have and share.

For us, this has worked fine, and the cast/crew have had no complaints. People seem to enjoy working with us, and some have even gone on to purchase copies of the sale version in support.

Our latest short had roughly 30 roles in it, many of them speaking. The sale copies cost a bit more to produce, and it's just not in our budget to give copies to cast and crew which would equal about 20% of our film's production budget, rather than the 10% that the press screeners cost.

But this seems to have worked well for us.

Back