How do you ask someone to be in your movie?

Hi, this is kind of weird but here goes...

I'm working on a short film as part of my "creative portfolio" to send to several limited access film schools. I have the script and equipment and entire cast except one character (the second lead). Today I happened to be at the supermarket and noticed an employee who looks EXACTLY how I've always pictured my second lead. I wanted to approach him and ask him if he'd be up for it but I felt a bit daft and thought it would be so awkward to approach a stranger and be like, "Hey, do you want to be in a movie?", especially while they're working. But I'd hate to cast the wrong person and later think, "Man, I should have gotten the other guy." I'm curious, have any of you approached random people and asked them to be in your films? If so, how did you do it and did it work?

It's a lot more than looks, but I did cast my first student film this way, at the public library. Per chance he's an actor! Just do whatcha gotta do.

For my first feature I cast a young woman in a supporting role after seeing her...I don't remember where, maybe working in Dairy Queen??? Anyway, she had a great look and it was a smallish part. She agreed.

Day of her scene, we arrived on location, unloaded gear, got leads into makeup and costume...no sign of Miss Dairy Queen. My producer got on the phone and was informed that she'd changed her mind!!! (Zero budget, no pay, no contracts...you get what you pay for.)

I freaked, but the producer said he knew someone who might work for the role - an experienced actor, no less. He called (woke her up) and begged. She had to work at a small clothing store that day, but, as it turned out, the store was located on the very block where we were shooting (it's a small town, y'see). So we would get the camera set, she'd take a break from work and shoot the scene, then go reopen the store. She turned out to be a wonderful choice.

Oh, and she's been my wife now for 17 years. :D And now you know the rest of the story.

Don't giggle or tell him you have a strange question for him, just act professional, and have a business card if you can.

I know you may be on asmall budget, but id say the easiest way to find the right person (especially the second lead) is to get permission from a university to use some room and hold an audition. Then put up flyers and craigslist posting on what you are looking for specifically looks wise. that way you elimante the people that dont fit profile. I think you'd be happier with the results. if you arent a college student, find someone who is. i got my cast from using this method and havent spent a dime on renting space. Thats just my two cents.
Unless he's an actor, i'd look else where.

If you know who you want just ask. I usually start the conversation by talking about my project the same way i would if i were pitching it to someone. Most of the time if i am talking to the right person for the job they will start to show enthusiasm in my idea, then i ask if they want to act in it. make sure you have some sort of tentative shooting date so they know your serious.

Don't giggle or tell him you have a strange question for him, just act professional, and have a business card if you can.

Or even have a one page synopsis of the film that you can hand him, so he can get an idea of where you're at. Include exactly what you want from him.

That way you have something concrete in case you flub your pitch. We all get shy from time to time.

Lmao it's so funny how many people seem to be having this same experience.

For me, I almost tend to write stories with my friend's faces in them. So when the time comes around to shoot a short film or so, my heart gets pretty broken when a certain person doesn't want to participate (especially when they happen to be artistic and drama-club geeks already). About asking a stranger to be in a film, I once seen this guy quite randomly on myspace in my area, and I fell in love with his face, he was exactly how I wanted a character in one of my films to look. Ends up, he was a flirt friend of one of my friends, so I contacted him this way.

Anyway, ends up, he was a big zombie film fan, and wanted to be a actor/filmmaker himself, and this fit right along with a seperate other short film I was planning on doing, so it really worked out. One big problem with me is I'm gay, and I'm not exactly the most masculine buff on the street, so guys naturally think I'm out to get in their pants. Anyway, this guy didn't seem to be bothered with me at all, and it seemed like we'd be into making films for months to come. But in weeks of befriending each other and getting along great, he completely stopped talking to me.

I hate it though, because for me, I really like befriending whoever is an actor in one of my films. I can't stand having a professional attitude toward people, I like my projects to be very fun.

I would think that very out going type people are the ones that probably will be better actors but not positive just a guess. I think if you type cast is a good way. Look for people that naturally have the personallity and look for the part. Then do some screen tests with other lead characters to see if they work out.

What is your thoughts on discovering talent that have not acted before.

Be polite, professional and ask. That person may be the next superstar because as they say in this business...you never know. What do you have to lose?

Ditto to what aceofspades70 said. People love movies. All you have to do is starting talking about your next project, and if you're enthusiastic about it, you'll find your attitude contaigous.

Just ask.

Make sure you handle it professionally, and don't come across as desperate or pleading. Sound like you think they are perfect for this role, but don't beg, and don't try to show your absolute ignorance.

This doesn't mean lie and make this individual feel like you are a veteran filmmaker, because when they come to set their expectations may be shattered. Feel free to tell them you are a novice filmmaker, but don't seem too desperate.

Ask them to come in for an audition if they are interested. Hold the audition in a nice location. Have sides for them to read and give them 15 mins or so to prepare.

Good luck.

Back