Canon Vixia

http://www.camcorderinfo.com/conten...der-Review-37194/Canon-HF-S100-Comparison.htm

what camera out of these two should i go for? (i would buy better if i could afford it, as is i have to look for a good deal on these two

please some opinions on them and explanations as too the following features and recording type....

MiniDV Tape's review ( i know what they are, but is it worth it?)

how to tell if a camera has TRULY good flow

FireWire (?) output in addition to a AV input (said it can convert but how practical is this to be used by a rising filmster?

any other comments would be greatly appreciated,

my only problem with the HS 100 is that it is said that the low light settings aren't that good and its SD...
the SD i am not anywhere near as concerned about as i am the entire low light part of the review, and the sound part, sound is something i really worry about when picking a camera....

Well... With sound and film (even digital) is that the sound should be done separately. It has the ability to record to the camera so that shouldn't be an issue, and for lights, just do a manual white balance on a glossy piece of paper.

hmm..... i know it has a mic port, and i was making sure to make sure it did, but what im wondering if in the sound test, they where counting the communication with a external mic, or if it was the built in mic....

and if it isn't a external mic, then this wins the cup,
unless i find there's better out there for that price tag....

the only down side is ill have to do a lot of research into mics..

FireWire (?) output in addition to a AV input (said it can convert but how practical is this to be used by a rising filmster?

You mean the ability to down-convert HDV to regular DV?

It has a few uses that I can think of, but I wouldn't consider that a selling-point.

(I'm actually using that on my current project - editing a doc with footage shot in Asia. Cameraman there shoots HDV, down-converts to SD, and sends me the SD via the 'net. I throw rough edit together, and can then send back a list of exactly what footage I will need in HDV for later. Reason being is that SD is 1/3 the filesize)

how to tell if a camera has TRULY good flow

I'm not sure what you mean - do you mean workflow? If so, that has little to do with the actual camera and more about you and your habits. Tapes striped to prevent timecode resetting? Paperwork (shot-lists, etc) done to assist batch-import? Things like that have nothing to do with the actual camera, but can be extremely useful for getting the edit underway swiftly.

The HV40 is a pretty sweet camera. I picked it up about 6 weeks ago, myself. Sure it's tape, but that's not that big a deal if you know what you need to import. There's probably a lot to be said for the newer digital recording mediums, as far as ease of use, mind you.

It's got zebra-stripes, grid-lines, can actually fit a Letus adapter (if needed), full access to a slew of manual functions (including focus, exposure, white balance, mic input levels) and you can goof around with many shutter speeds, on top of a selection of HDV modes. It also has a memory card slot for taking stills.

I can't compare it against another camera (I don't know much about cameras in general), but I'm very happy with it. Does everything I need it to do... and that's the important part.

Back