• READ BEFORE POSTING!
    • If posting a video, please post HERE, unless it is a video as part of an advertisement and then post it in this section.
    • If replying to threads please remember this is the Promotion area and the person posting may not be open to feedback.

fund raising for my project

Im a film maker new to the biz. Im looking for ways to raise money for equipment.
Im looking to buy a Canon VIXIA HF S11 w/ some accessories. It will be used to shoot my web series.
I have came up with what i think is a good start on fund raising. please give me your feedback and any ideas you may have.

check it out and tell me what you think: help out my cause
http://www.audiolife.com/Store/Werenewatthisproductions

Thanks in advance everyone

Somewhat clever, but a little pricey, no? One might be more inclined to purchase a shirt to support your cause, however, if one knew from the store page:

1. what your cause was,
2. what your webseries was about, and
3. what your creative mission was in the form of a mission statement

Host a fundraiser. Do it at a studio, a friend's shop, a bar, a club...whatever location works best for you, and is the best bang for the buck.

The key is to spend as little money as possible on the event, so that every last penny goes towards your cause. Don't throw down a ton of money on a location, on drinks, on a band...try to get as much of this stuff as you can for free...and pay-out only to what is necessary.

You don't need to supply food and drinks...hold it at a bar or club...charge a cover at the door. Work out with the bar owner whether you get the door, a portion of the door...a portion of drinks...you name it. Usually if you bring in a fair amount of people on a slow day, you can just take the entire door fee and the bar will be happy with people buying drinks...

Jazz up your event with talented friends...bring in performers that are willing to help out for free. This could be a band...a burlesque show...a comedian...you name it.

Spice up the location with sweat equity...get some people to decorate and set things up...you shouldn't have to pay any one.

What you *don't* want to do is rent out an expensive location, pay several bands, host an open bar, and create a 'VIP' section, and then charge a ton of money for entrance....this sucks, and always fails at producing profit. Yes it might be a fun place to network and stuff...but for you and your cause...it's a money pit.

We tend to host our fundraisers at a bar (where we don't have to pay for location), we host it on an off night, and we get the proceeds of the door. We have friend's band come in...we usually have a trailer or whatnot to show...

If you want to go the shwag route...that's cool. We usually put out all of our past DVDs and shirts to the latest production. We also have a signed poster that we auction off during the night (can fetch as much as your guests are willing to haggle).

Good luck...

Last edited:
Get your 5-10 min reel ready
-- rent a Pro-HD Camera with a DP/Editor - who can help you get it together
Hold the fund raiser at a local theater when its not busy (not easy but doable).
Invite all - show them your reel. Take lots of picture, post them on your web site.

Back