Searching for a gun Mic.

I'm totally newbie at making films, because I just started...
And I started off spending almost all my money on software such as AAE, A. Premire, Sony Vegas and just bought the must expensive program in the world Autodesk 3d max (2010).

Now I have an HD-cam.
But I need a cheap but good gun mic.
I'm interested on buying a mic. that are able to be connected to a laptop with USB (Or something else that is compatible with a laptop) and RECORD THE SOUND via the computer.

Now I have no idea how to use a gun mic. because I actually just found out that it was named a gun-mic, or boomer(thing..).

Does anyone know a "semi-pro" gun mic. that are compatible with a computer for under 350$ ?

There is no such thing as a "Gun" mic. It's called "Shotgun" mic. Shotgun and other mics are attached to a long extendable rod call a "Boom Pole" or "Fish Pole".

There are currently no quality production sound mics that connect to a laptop via USB. Recording directly to a laptop requires that you get an audio interface. Most audio interfaces will require AC power.

The Rode NTG-2 is a popular budget shotgun mic for indoor usage, the Oktava MK-012 is a popular hyper-cardioid mic for indoor purposes.

I would suggest that you search the forums. There have been many discussions about the topic of capturing production sound.

Cheap but Good, what the hell is that, haha

sorry, always makes for a good laugh to see that one. you spent all this money on software and computers and a HD camera. but look for a cheap microphone?

ok, earth to everyone out there, sound gear cost more than and HD camera. but i do understand that you want to start somewhere and need to get a mic.

what was suggested above will work, but do not expect to get good quality sound to match your image by purchasing just one cheap mic. it will get you something you can hear.

always my suggestion is to look for a soundperson to help you out, or rent something that IS good, not cheap.

sorry to be blunt, but i see this all too commonly here.

The Røde NTG-2 looks cute to me...
Cute? It's not a kitten for Bogs sake!

But what should I connect it to?
It's wired to the camera or to a field recorder. How you connect it to your camera depends upon what type of camera you are using.

And BTW, is a deadcat worth to buy compared to the original windscreen you get with it?
If you are doing a lot of outdoor shooting you should invest in "dead cat" or better yet a blimp with a fuzzy.

You spent all this money on software and computers and a HD camera, but look for a cheap microphone?

Beginning filmmakers always make that mistake; they ignore the sound of their projects until they get into audio post - if they even bother with audio post at all - by which time it is much too late unless they have an extensive budget, which 99% of the time they do not.

Some disagree, but the general consensus is that if you have great sound your audience will forgive a visual deficiencies. Great sound begins in preproduction. A script is the spoken word, after all; shouldn't you make sure that once you get into production you spend the time, effort and money to capture it properly? Every dollar you spend on production sound will save you ten in audio post.

And don't mount the mic on the camera or hand the boom to whichever PA isn't busy. A boom-op has one of the most demanding technical jobs on the set. S/he has to hold an eight to twenty foot pole over their head for hours at a time, making minute adjustments to keep the mic mounted at the end of the pole pointed at the mouths of the talent while keeping the boom out of the shot without casting shadows.

Did you know that Quentin Tarantino will only use production sound dialog? That he will re-block and/or re-light a shot if the sound crew tells him that they cannot capture quality sound without interfering with the lighting or casting shadows? That he will re-shoot entire scenes if the production audio quality is not up to his standards? Would that every director had this reverence for sound!

I'm totally newbie at making films, because I just started...
And I started off spending almost all my money on software such as AAE, A. Premire, Sony Vegas and just bought the must expensive program in the world Autodesk 3d max (2010).

I just finished reading your other thread about Boujou, and I just have to ask...

Why? :huh:

There's nothin' wrong with bein' a noob (we all start there), but seriously - ya' gotta learn to walk before you can run.

Yeah. I WON'T spend 10.000 on a program...
That's why I'm asking about a freeware/something more affordable..
And PFhoe is only € 79.00, but now I'll start with save some money up, and buy a camcorder and audio stuff (...)

Now I got a camcorder.. which is bad, and I will replace that with Sony HVR-HD1000E. Is that a good or a bad choice?

Now I got a camcorder.. which is bad, and I will replace that with Sony HVR-HD1000E. Is that a good or a bad choice?

It's probably not a bad entry-level HD camera (I've researched it a bit myself), but it doesn't have XLR inputs. If you want true pro audio, you'll need to invest further in a Beachtek or similar adapter. Panasonic makes a similar over-the-shoulder HD cam that records to SD card, not miniDV tape, and has XLR inputs for around the same price: Panasonic HMC70. I'm no DP so I can neither confirm nor deny these cameras ability to do what you need.

Back