• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

Shooting dialogue

Hi!

I am shooting some independent low-budget short movies. One of the problems i faced is shooting a dialogue. Is it all about repeating it three times from different angles (wide, over-shoulders)?
When to use over-shoulder and when just a talking person... How about shooting with two cameras, does anybody do it.
I would be thankful to hear some advices from you...

You need to get your coverage to start...

* Wide
* Two shot
* CU actor #1 (could be over the shoulder or not)
* CU actor #2 (could be over the shoulder or not)

As far as whether you want extreme CU, which is just very close on an actors face, that's up to you. This is a style choice.

Look up online proper over-the-shoulder techniques...you have to make sure you're giving the correct head room or look room...depending on who's in the frame, and which way they are looking.

And lastly, check out the 180 degree rule--it is very important to always follow this rule:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/180_degree_rule

I've shot both ways and much prefer to shoot with one camera for multiple reasons. Firstly, it's much easier to light for one camera. Secondly, you can concentrate more on individual performances when you're shooting a single camera. Dividing your attention as little as possible is the best possible solution on set when your attention is already massively divided.

Back