Panasonic AG-HMC150

Hi and thanks in advance for any guidance. I am looking to get back into video production and thinking it's time to update my equipment. Most of my experience was with industrial SVHS and the video toaster/ stand alone decks back in the 90's. Rather than lugging my 20lb JVC KY-15 around, I've been looking at the HMC150 as a camera that fits my price range and would work well with FCP 7 (the toaster is boxed in storage). My production goal is 1 independent project per year with the hopes of festival submission. My current project is a retrospective on the birth of freestyle skiing. I have some of the old pros from the 70's willing to give interviews and want to make sure I've got a good set up for the shoot. The reason I'm not hiring a crew for this is I want to be ready to travel within 2 weeks or shorter to grab these interviews when I can and also have this camera to build my shooting skills and pursue other projects.

Anyone out there using the HMC150 for doc work and have opinions? Should I stretch out my budget (which would be tough and I need $400-$600 for my sound) and step up to a camera like the Panasonic HPX170? How about other cameras in the same ballpark? I am not thinking broadcast or distribution right now or hiring myself out. Just festivals and museum archives.

Thanks again for any suggestions or cautions! Brian

Since spneding $3,500 is in your price range I’d suggest the
JVC HM100. But the Panasonic is a fine camera.

I remember the KY15. Are you still using it?

HMC150

I haven't used the KY15 for a long time. I also still have a sony 3ccd Hi8mm camcorder. It's nice to have the ability to transfer these older formats though to DVD. Thanks for the suggestion. Do you think the 1/4" vs 1/3" CCD between the camera's makes much of a difference?

Back