• READ BEFORE POSTING!
    • If posting a video, please post HERE, unless it is a video as part of an advertisement and then post it in this section.
    • If replying to threads please remember this is the Promotion area and the person posting may not be open to feedback.

watch "Blaze of Glory" YAFI - 2009 48 hour entry

I wish that was larger and in HD for me to check out. I could barely see any of the details. From what I could see though, it looked well lit, and well shot...and the sound was pretty darn good for a 48hr project (was this the actual entry, or was it cleaned up in this version?)

I thought some of the gags could have been stronger...

I really liked the janitor gag...where he wasn't even listening. That was funny.

Overall it was pretty funny...it just left me wanting more, and stronger choices.

Thanks for posting.

Thanks M1chae1, I spent an extra 50 hours finishing the compositing and doing some touch up edits to it (mostly the compositing). There's still more I may do to it, but this is much stronger than what played at the screening, just removing the superfluous bits really helped tighten up the edit alot and make it more viewable. I'm considering removing one of the sight gags and moving the lighting of the tanks to the end instead of using the lighter (which is so small it's unrecognizable anyway). I think that would make a stronger ending and a tighter edit yet.

Despite the teeny size I liked it!

Good "funkay aloha" tune in the background helped the comedy quite a bit. I liked the cheezy effects (like the sliding door) and the gags with the deaths (especially the one after the credits- I was wondering when that was going to come back, LOL). The pacing and the lack of any real character depth were the obvious flaws, but it's a 48, so those are usually the pitfalls of the rapid-fire development... still, I would have liked to see the main character interact with more people along the way and there are a few shots which hold too long and beats that get missed as far as pacing... but again, aside from the flaws, I really liked the whole idea behind this short! Loved the space-wear too! Oh yeah, and the slate at the end with the 48's conditions was pretty smart (though again, due to size, couldn't read it all) way of going about it.

Anyway, good job and congrats!

Can I ask for more specificity, I'm going to bbe making another cut of this for festival submissions and want it to be as strong as possible.

I'm going to be altering the climax gag a bit using the banging torch instead of the imperceptible lighter in hand. That should pace up the failure montage slightly and make the end make more sense. I'm also going to make a name decal for the station that reads: "S.S. GLORY"

I was thinking about using Shake to fix the cheesy door opening on the walk and talk as well (and get rid of the grip's shadow on the wall). In addition, I was going to make the malfunctioning door more obvious in that shot.

Despite the teeny size I liked it!

Good "funkay aloha" tune in the background helped the comedy quite a bit. I liked the cheezy effects (like the sliding door) and the gags with the deaths (especially the one after the credits- I was wondering when that was going to come back, LOL). The pacing and the lack of any real character depth were the obvious flaws, but it's a 48, so those are usually the pitfalls of the rapid-fire development... still, I would have liked to see the main character interact with more people along the way and there are a few shots which hold too long and beats that get missed as far as pacing... but again, aside from the flaws, I really liked the whole idea behind this short! Loved the space-wear too! Oh yeah, and the slate at the end with the 48's conditions was pretty smart (though again, due to size, couldn't read it all) way of going about it.

Anyway, good job and congrats!

Back