help with a scene

I think some of your cuts are too fast...sometimes this can work, but it takes a delicate touch when creating snappy cuts...and this comes with experience. If it seems jumpy and disorienting...it probably is. (example Clip 1, time sig 1:20)

If I'm not mistaken, I think you're breaking the '180 degree rule' all over the place. Look this term up...and if there is one rule you always follow...it's this one.

Look at Clip 1 at time sig :53. Look at the framing there. That should be centered. You can do off-center shots, but they are usually for a single individual. Say your actor is talking to someone off frame to the right...you can put more room on the right side...but when you have a two-shot, you want to center the two actors (for the most part).

And for future reference, if the boom ever makes it into frame past the safe zone of post production aspect ration...you can't use the shot. That's why you get multiple takes ("one for safety") on every shot...just in case you notice something you didn't on the monitor.

Use a tripod. Your camera skill isn't up to snuff for handheld work. Set up a shot on a tripod, and compose the shot and practice the movement before you call action. Use handheld sparingly. I don't care if 'all the cool kids are doing it.'

Obviously your actors are very pretty...but they aren't good. If this doesn't matter to you...then fine. I realize this is probably just an exercise, so the acting doesn't matter. But if it does matter to you...sometimes you may have to go with less pretty, and more talent. :) It's a difficult balance we all are faced with. But regardless what some people think...actors are as important as lighting, sound, and story.

I will watch more when I have the time...

Last edited:
Back