No idea what camera to use. Any suggestions would help...

So i'm currently still writing the script on my movie and i'm drawing the story boards. I know what I want to shoot and the only thing I can think of that I would need on the camera I need is a hard drive (so I can go in and edit right away on the computer without having to use video) and the most important part I would like on the camera is a manual focus option. Ideally it would be a manual focus wheel on the end of the lens.

I'm going to be doing a lot of indoor shooting with dark environments and minimal lighting. I'm very new to the process and have virtually no idea what kind of camera I would need.

Some suggestions would be greatly help. Thanks.

P.S. Regardless of what I wrote here on what I think I need like the manual focus ring and a hard drive, any other suggestions would be welcomed. Thank you again.

P.S.S. I'm also wondering whether I should record speech directly when recording video (although there will likely be a lot of interference), or to just record the speech into the movie after shooting (which will require a lot of trial and error to get the speech to match lip movements, volumes, and editing). What would be ideal is if the camera had a wireless mic attachment that would transfer the speech from the actors directly to the camera and record it directly. Anything like that that anyone knows of?

Last edited:
Get (or borrow) any prosumer-grade HD cam. This can be costly, but I don't know what to tell you. You can get an even more expensive HD cam that has a nice lens on it already. But, come to think of it, most good HD cams already have the ability to manually focus...just beg, buy, borrow, or steal an HD cam...most stock HD cams won't give you the DOF (depth of field) you may want...if this is something you want, I suggest a lens package (which can be expensive).

As far as recording dialog. I say get a boom and record it on set. Get a 'dead cat' (furry mic cover) to slide over your mic to stop wind noise. Capture the best audio you can. Then later call in the actors to ADR specific bits of dialog that are unusable. This is not uncommon. ADR is the nature of the beast...and good actors (and filmmakers) should become familiar with all aspects and techniques of good ADR.

Take it easy. Good luck. Have fun.

Okay, so if I get a HD camcorder and it records onto DV cassettes then how do I get that onto my computer to edit it without losing any of the quality of the video or audio.

Also, which one of these would be the best for my first camcorder for the movie?

Sony HDR-FX7 ($1,999)
http://www.sonystyle.com/webapp/wcs...angId=-1&productId=11034787#additionalImage1"

Sony HVR-HD1000U ($1,799)
http://www.sonystyle.com/webapp/wcs...=-1&productId=8198552921665551067#accessories

Sony HVRA1U ($2,999)
http://pro.sony.com/bbsc/ssr/cat-broadcastcameras/cat-hdv/product-HVRA1U/

Sony HVRZ5U ($4,950)
http://pro.sony.com/bbsc/ssr/product-HVRZ5U/

Basically, something I can connect a boom microphone to and have the manual focus. Obviously, the more expensive, the better in this case but what is good enough that will suit my needs.

Thanks.

Okay, so if I get a HD camcorder and it records onto DV cassettes then how do I get that onto my computer to edit it without losing any of the quality of the video or audio.

The camera ought to have a FireWire jack that uses a cable to connect to your computer.

Sounds like you have a lot of reading to do, before buying a camera. :)

As far as which camera to pick... I couldn't tell ya. Ain't my area. But given the details you gave earlier...

very new to the process and have virtually no idea what kind of camera I would need.

... you ain't makin' a smart move by blowin' up to 5K for your first camera.

A Canon HV40 is only $800 - records to tape, and has a (semi) manual focus, along with manual white-balance. For the $$, it's surprisingly good.

Now, that might be the kind of thing that's important to you if you're filming your own material.

Unless it's a camera that you intend to use a lot (or if you just happen to have a slush fund), the more expensive cameras are better off left to being rented. Maybe even rented with a person who knows how to run it properly.

Hmm, brb

The camera ought to have a FireWire jack that uses a cable to connect to your computer.

Sounds like you have a lot of reading to do, before buying a camera. :)

As far as which camera to pick... I couldn't tell ya. Ain't my area. But given the details you gave earlier...

... you ain't makin' a smart move by blowin' up to 5K for your first camera.

A Canon HV40 is only $800 - records to tape, and has a (semi) manual focus, along with manual white-balance. For the $$, it's surprisingly good.

Now, that might be the kind of thing that's important to you if you're filming your own material.

Unless it's a camera that you intend to use a lot (or if you just happen to have a slush fund), the more expensive cameras are better off left to being rented. Maybe even rented with a person who knows how to run it properly.

Hmm, brb

I actually found a Panasonic AG-DVX100B for $2050 which is a decent price considering that camera directly from Panasonic is $2,995.

http://www.fotoconnection.com/p23355-panasonic-ag-dvx100b-3-ccd-24p-30p-60i-minidv-proline.html

Would that one be good? That Canon looks nice but seems really expensive and I heard Panasonics were better for 24p even better than the Sonys.

Panasonic HMC 150
from Cnet-
Leveraging the design of the older, standard def AG-DVX100, the HMC150 incorporates a trio of new 1/3-inch CCDs with native 16:9 aspect ratios, and support all the various 1080 and 720 progressive and interlaced options. It will use a broader 28mm Leica lens, also optically stabilized, and provide XLR audio inputs, an HDMI output (among others), as well as remote capability for iris and record controls.

Good in low light, has 5 pre programmed Scene files 2 of which are "Film Look".
You can find them new on eBay for $3200.oo and they come with a 3 year warranty.

I have owned one since April and absolutely love it.
I almost bought the Sony Z5 before I stumbled on to the Panasonic. Recording to SDHC cards is very nice. One word of caution. The Panasonic records to an AVCHD file. You need a good computer and the right software (FCP, Vegas, etc). You can pop the SDHC out of the camera, download the files to your computer in 5 minutes and edit directly.

Like most cameras the microphone is not great or even very good. But it does have 2 XLR inputs.

hope this helps!

Back