Legal issues?

Before i start my film what are some steps I need to take so Just in case someone does, I don't get sued or anything? I know I have to copyright my script, the film, but what about the actors, the music that is being made for me from someone across seas? Do i get him to sign something? do i make a contract for my actors?, Please help, I thank you all.

Actor Release Form
Location Release Form
Avoid showing TMed brands
Liability Insurance
Equipment Insurance (if renting)

Yup, sounds like you have a bit of reading to do. :)

You can find links to a lot of those forms on the site here, and SonnyBoo's site also has a nice choice of forms/paperwork.

The paperwork might seem a bit intimidating at first, but once you've got what you need (and you've read them a few times) it's not that big a deal.

:)

Read "the pocket lawyer for filmmakers".
You also need crew releases. Those releases should cover transfer of copyrights to you, because some crew people contribute to the artistic look of the movie (DP, art department people).
There are some situations when you can show real products without permission (ex- if you shoot inside a store with real products all over the place, or if a character is driving a Ford car, etc).

There are some situations when you can show real products without permission (ex- if you shoot inside a store with real products all over the place, or if a character is driving a Ford car, etc).

You can show products in a store? I didn't know that. We shot a lot of scenes in a store and we always turned all the products in every single scene so the labels would not show. Well, that was a wast of time.
That's good to know. Thanks.

If in dobt the safest thing to do is to get somebody who knows the legal issues to help you. Obviously what kind of legal advice you can get depends on your budget. It's something that could save you money in the long run.

You can show products in a store? I didn't know that. We shot a lot of scenes in a store and we always turned all the products in every single scene so the labels would not show. Well, that was a wast of time.
That's good to know. Thanks.
I spoke to an LA entertainment attorney who specifically reviewed a scene I shot inside a store. There was one shot that had an actor standing right in front of an entire shelf of a product. The product was clearly visible. You have every right to "dress your set" with real products.

The only thing you DO have to worry about is copyrighted art that take up a lot of the screen, such as paintings, a statue, a hand made quilt, etc. I was told to blur out some stuff that the idiot producer never cleared.

Before i start my film what are some steps I need to take so Just in case someone does, I don't get sued or anything? I know I have to copyright my script, the film, but what about the actors, the music that is being made for me from someone across seas? Do i get him to sign something? do i make a contract for my actors?, Please help, I thank you all.

An important thing to consider is also forming a legal entity (LLC or LP) just for your film. So if someone does take you to court you won't loose your main production (bread and butter) company.
Find yourself a good entertainment attorney it saves you in the long run.
Just my 2 cents.

An important thing to consider is also forming a legal entity (LLC or LP) just for your film. So if someone does take you to court you won't loose your main production (bread and butter) company.
Find yourself a good entertainment attorney it saves you in the long run.
Just my 2 cents.
If you don't have money to sue for or if it's a micro budget movie then forming a corp may be too expensive for some filmmakers. Here is Cali it costs about $1,200 a year to form and maintain a corporation. If you stay incorporated for 5 years then that's $6,000 spent! Lawyers will tell you it's a must, but you have to ask yourself if there really is that much risk of a catastrophic lawsuit that buries you. When I go to a 7-Eleven I risk a lawsuit from punching out a homeless guy who attacks me. There's all kinds of everyday things you are "exposed" to getting sued for, but are you really going to form a corporation for every little thing you do?
The alternative is to read books like the one I mentioned, get releases and have insurance for your shoot. Then if your movie is like the vast majority of movies that sell less than 1,000 then nobody will know or care about you and your movie.

Back