What is a good next step for me?

I'm not sure if this is the right forum to ask this, if not I apologize up front.

Basically, I wanted to get some advice on what direction I should focus on. I have known for some time that I want to someday direct films so over the past 8 years I've very intentionally gathered skills to help me along that path. I took a job an HD video production company and have had the chance to work on many aspects of pre-pro, production, and post production including editing, shooting, animation and writing. I have also interned on several feature films on my vacation time in order to learn as much as I can about all aspects of filmmaking.

My philosophy has always been that knowing as much as I can about all aspects of film will make me a better director someday. So I look at the last 8 years as my 'gen ed' film schooling of sorts.

My question is this: I feel that it is time for me to start pursuing directing more directly - what should my short and long-term goals be towards that end? My thought right now is to produce a short film and enter it into festivals along with finish up a feature script and shopping it around. Is this a good way to go?

I wonder about looking into a program or school designed specifically for directors - would that be a good thing for me to explore at this point? I feel as if my work has given me the production basics so I want something that would grow me as a director specifically. I would also really love to find somebody who would be willing to sort of mentor me but I'm not sure how to go about that other then in the school context.

Sorry this is so long, thank you so much for your time,

-Trevor

Welcome!

I agree with you it's good to know as much as you can about everything, even if it's just he basics.

If you mean Produce/Direct a short, I'd say do it. I wouldn't say to jsut produce a film if your goal is directing, I'd say just direct it.

No matter how much you know, your first film will more then likely suck, or not be close to even competing.

Just start off small and simple, and shoot a couple shorts, and you'll learn along the way.

Then, the best advice anyone will ever give you: Shoot your first feature. Put it all on the line.

Welcome!

It should come as no surprise coming from a sound guy, but learn about sound. I don't mean the technical end - mics, recorders, formats and the like, although that would be a help - but about what sound can actually do for your film. Also the basics of audio post such as dialog & ADR mixing and editing, Foley, sound FX, stems, rerecording and deliverables. Again, not the boring technical side but a good round set of basics. Some basic knowledge of music and its many genres would also assist you greatly.

What I'm trying to say is that you should know enough about theses things so that you can communicate efficiently and creatively with your production and post sound crew and with the composer and music supervisor.

A good place to start is the David Sonnenschein book "Sound Design - The Expressive Power of Music, Voice and Sound Effects in Cinema" which focuses on the creative aspects and "The Practical Art of Motion Picture Sound" by David Yewdall which, though a bit dated, is excellent but has a slightly more technical slant. "The Foley Grail" by Vanessa Ament is a great, fun read and the accompanying DVD gives a good look into Foley sessions.

You can also spend a few days browsing FilmSound.org. Lots of great articles about specific movies, technical and creative aspects, and some very interesting history.

"Sound is half of the experience"

"No one notices sound - until its not there"

"Video without sound is just surveillance"

I'd say the advice so far has been pretty sound. It seems to me that you definitely have a good mindset about where you want to go as a filmmaker and have been going about it in a pretty decent way, too. I like the idea of directing a short film, something simple that's really just a way of putting your current skill set to the test, getting a sense of your strengths and the things you need to work on.

Basically, you're still in that developing your talent side of things, so don't look for too much in an initial short film project beyond working at that. Keep in mind that you're on the right track and just try to have as much fun as possible.

Directing is a fun and heady experience

I agree that you should get out there and direct some shorts. But don't wait for classes or to have something that you're going to take to festivals, if you just want to get a sense of directing. Do it now. Write or get hold of a 3- to 5-page script with no more than two or three characters, or take a few pages of Shakespeare, enlist the help of a friend who owns a camcorder to be your cameraperson, go to an accessible location like a park or someone's house or backyard, advertise for actors on craigslist or at a local college theater department, and do it! Figure out what you want your short to be about, the personalities of the characters, and how you want your actors to convey the essence of their roles. I find the hardest part of directing is to communicate what you want. Still, I think directing is fun and quite exhilarating.

Make a few really bad shorts, just to learn from, before you get into making something more complicated. Don't worry if your first ones are festival material or not -- no one has to see them but you.

Last edited:
I was in your exact same place some time ago. What I find
interesting abut your post, Trevor, is that it has taken you
eight years to ask if directing a short film is a good way to go.

Imagine if for the past eight years you have made two short films
a year - you would have 16 finished short films. Most not very
good I suspect, but you would have the experience. And all the
people you have been working with would know you as the guy who
directs short films.

That’s my round about way of saying, go for it! You want to be a
director. I’m exactly like you in that I, too, look jobs in post
production and production and volunteered on several feature
films. What an amazing way to learn. Where we differ is the
entire time I was directing short films.

You don’t need a mentor, you need to direct movies.
You don’t need to direct award winning movies, you need to direct
movies.
You don't need any classes, you need to direct movies.

You say you want to enter your first short film in festivals. How
many festivals do you attend each year?

Trevor,
I've been directing films of different lengths for the last 5 years and the best advice I can give you is to just get out there and do it. You will never be able to learn to direct a film until you make mistakes and learn from them. Film schools will only take you so far. Being hands on, passionate, and dedicated is what makes it for people in this industry. Don't be afraid to make a crappy movie, because everyone has made crappy movies. EVERYONE. Learn how to make an interesting short film with no budget. Learn how to convince people to be involved with your projects, even if its just your friends, because nobody is going to give anything to you. If you want to be that producer/director package you are basically always going to be selling yourself.

As far as writing a feature length screenplay, go and do it. Just write it as best you can, and once you're done writing...KEEP WRITING. These days nobody makes in Hollywood without being able to write, and at the core, be able to tell a story. Try to write a few and have them under your belt. I know that sounds daunting but you will become a better writer and often there may be a producer who isn't sure your script is the right one for him, BUT, if he likes your style you can show him others that you have written. People who put all their eggs in one basket with one screenplay are often very disappointed because chances are your first one won't be the next classic. Just keep trying and stay motivated. Do whatever you can, and always keep making movies. That will be your film school. Good luck!

check out the blogs and radio show stuff on my website: starspictures.ning.com
My producer and I cover how to get into filmmaking and the two part blog will take you through everything step by step.

Hear Ye, Hear Ye,

Be it herewith proclaimed throughout the land that TrevorJ is a Director of short films.

He shall begin directing a new short film within 10 days of this notification or forfeit this lofty title.

Yep, just do it. With very limited production experience (MUCH less than you have) I directed a 35 minute short with 15 actors, 6 locations, and a budget of $6000 last spring. I'm currently in pre-production on my second film right now. I made mistakes on the first film, I sure did, though it turned out amazingly well. I learned from those mistakes, and I'll learn from the ones I make on this film too. 3 days on set directing is worth 4 years in film school IMO.

Back