Advice on camera and gear

Hi there fellow film makers!

I am an amateur aspiring documentary film maker, with an emphasis on the shooting in outdoor/extreme locales (i.e. jungle, desert, mountains etc)

I am planning on a going to shoot in the Amazon in a month and I wanted to get some suggestions on equipment. First and foremost, I need a camera. Every one I have asked has suggested the Panasonic HVX-200. Some of the documentary film makers I have spoken with have insisted that if I am going into the jungle, I must record to mini-dv because P2 will be too hard to upload onto a computer if I am in the bush.

So my questions are:

A.) What camera do you recommend for an aspiring documentary film maker? I would like a camera that is of professional quality. Something that if the opportunity arose, would be produce worthy quality to show in theaters. Also, I would like something relatively small and lightweight (no bigger than the size of the HVX-200.

B.) What format should I record to? Mini Dv or P2 or both?

C.) What kind of mic should I get for it? Sennheiser?

D.) What other accessories would you recommend to a "one man band" (i.e. I will be guerilla film making solo)

E.) I know I need sound equipment to record my subjects. What kind of package should I get? Lav mics?

F.) If I were to be shooting on P2 cards, what would be the best way to upload the footage if I was in the jungle? Have a small laptop? Have an external hard drive? If a hard drive, what kind and what capabilities must it have?

G.) What do I need as far as cases, camera protectors (porta brace?). Someone told me the jungle is not the place for cameras and its eco system eats away at them and causes mold etc. How do I prevent this?

H.) What type of tripod should I get?

I.) Are there any laptops in particular that would be a good supplement to the camera out in the wild (i.e. the Panasonic toughbook?). And what is the process of uploading my footage to the laptop?

J.) Is there a crucial lighting package (super portable and easy to carry in backpack) in case I need to light subjects?

k.) What about shooting in low light? How do I optimize my shooting to capture during low or no light situations? Is there night vision upgrades for the camera? If so, can you please explain and recommend the equipment?

*I appreciate any and all feedback to my questions. I thank you so much for taking the time to help a novice out. Good karma will be coming your way :)

Warm Regrds!

Hi there fellow film makers!

I am an amateur aspiring documentary film maker, with an emphasis on the shooting in outdoor/extreme locales (i.e. jungle, desert, mountains etc)

I am planning on a going to shoot in the Amazon in a month and I wanted to get some suggestions on equipment. First and foremost, I need a camera. Every one I have asked has suggested the Panasonic HVX-200. Some of the documentary film makers I have spoken with have insisted that if I am going into the jungle, I must record to mini-dv because P2 will be too hard to upload onto a computer if I am in the bush.

They're right.

So my questions are:

A.) What camera do you recommend for an aspiring documentary film maker? I would like a camera that is of professional quality. Something that if the opportunity arose, would be produce worthy quality to show in theaters. Also, I would like something relatively small and lightweight (no bigger than the size of the HVX-200.

I'd say HVX200

B.) What format should I record to? Mini Dv or P2 or both?
In the woods, MiniDv. Where there's electricity, P2

C.) What kind of mic should I get for it? Sennheiser?
Sennheiser is a great brand, there's a few others, I'm not sur the best for Doc.

D.) What other accessories would you recommend to a "one man band" (i.e. I will be guerilla film making solo)
An AC belt, a grip belt, and some gaffing expendables.

E.) I know I need sound equipment to record my subjects. What kind of package should I get? Lav mics?
at least 2 Lavs. They will come in hand a lot.

F.) If I were to be shooting on P2 cards, what would be the best way to upload the footage if I was in the jungle? Have a small laptop? Have an external hard drive? If a hard drive, what kind and what capabilities must it have?
A laptop with external HDD would be the best option, there is also a device called P2 Store, which is a HDD that accepts P2 cards directly. Down side is that you need a Computer to view your footage anyways.

the HDD would be best if it has a SATA port which is 3Gigs/sec transfer rate. Firewire 800 is second best which is 800MB/sec.

G.) What do I need as far as cases, camera protectors (porta brace?). Someone told me the jungle is not the place for cameras and its eco system eats away at them and causes mold etc. How do I prevent this?
This is true. Humidity can cause your camera to fail and mess up your lens. Porta brace can help, but it's not going to be 100%

H.) What type of tripod should I get?
A good Light weeight one. I can't name any off the top of my head, but you'll be able to research it.

I.) Are there any laptops in particular that would be a good supplement to the camera out in the wild (i.e. the Panasonic toughbook?). And what is the process of uploading my footage to the laptop?
Any laptop will do.

As for uploading, it's fairly simple. You just DL the P2 drivers and buy a media slot, and you just plug and transfer through the P2 program.

J.) Is there a crucial lighting package (super portable and easy to carry in backpack) in case I need to light subjects?
I would go with Lowel 3 peice kit. There a good brand, durable, and light weight. And relitively cheap.

k.) What about shooting in low light? How do I optimize my shooting to capture during low or no light situations? Is there night vision upgrades for the camera? If so, can you please explain and recommend the equipment?
You can buy a mountable LED light for the camera, you hook a battery to it, and it should give a good amount of light off.

*I appreciate any and all feedback to my questions. I thank you so much for taking the time to help a novice out. Good karma will be coming your way :)
Your Welcome, and Welcome to IndieTalk!

Warm Regrds!

!

Dang, that's an ambitious list of questions. :)

All I got is - don't get a camcorder that records to a harddrive. They are more sensitive to temperature extremes than tape-based cameras, and it sounds like you going extreme areas.

How you gonna recharge them batteries, in the jungle?

What's the doc about? :cool:

Back