Using a Sword

I plan to use a sword in a future movie, and I have a question.

Are there any swords I can use for props that aren't deadly weapons? I've been looking, but I don't think my keywords where good enough.. I just want to make sure if someone slips the actor doesn't die.

Thanks,
RR

I looked at wooden swords, but I would need something that looks realistic. Wooden swords look to... wooden even with a good paint job.

EDIT: nevermind found out how to make a relatively safe prop sword..

Last edited:
Look around...trust me, you will find someone with a sword. I would not go wooden, unless it was in the background of the scene. Just make sure your sword is dull if you're going to be using it in actual choreographed battle.

Also make sure it's sturdy ('battle ready' it's sometimes called) if you plan to clang it against other swords...you don't want a piece breaking off and impaling the Key Grip.

Try a CraigsList ad? Make a post on local film sites. Go to a Renaissance Festival and make some friends.

Good luck.

Try looking for a sword shop in your area. Go in and ask their advice, I'm sure they'll be able to help you out.
You can get replica swords from these shops that are blunted, so would be less dangerous. But I'm no expert so wouldn't like to suggest it to you. Asking at a sword shop would be your best bet. A local martial arts group may be able to help you too.

If you want safe but have the feel of a sword go wooden and paint it with special laqor. Unless you're going to be doing close ups on the items the only people that will know are you guys.

If you want safe but have the feel of a sword go wooden and paint it with special laqor. Unless you're going to be doing close ups on the items the only people that will know are you guys.

I hate to disagree, but a wooden sword is not going to have the 'feel' of a real sword. Metal swords have a weight and a balance much different that wooden swords. And in all honesty, painting a sword to look metal is only going to work for background shots...close ups will give away the illusion--no amount of folley will bring a wooden sword used by the main characters to the level of a real metal sword. People will catch wind if the battle is extended or close up...the way people handle, swing, and connect with wooden swords is totally different than with metal ones.

Glad you found something awesome, man.

I honestly wouldn't think finding a good prop sword to be that hard, but then I suppose one of the horrors of filmmaking are all the little surprises that come out of nowhere and become nightmarish simply because they don't seem like they should be a problem to begin with.

Heh.

M1chae1: that's why you buy them from a martial arts eq store. They are made to have the weight and balance of real swords.

Oh OK. I wasn't aware that martial arts stores carried wooden battle ready swords that had the same weight as a real sword. That's good to know.

Me thinks they would be pretty expensive though.

It still may be worth it to find a friend, and borrow theirs. Perhaps that is easier said than done...I don't know. I do know that I don't necessarily run in 'sword' circles, and I personally know 4 or 5 people that have swords (even I have a battle ready short sword). So, it can't be that hard.

Back