Camera script and planning shots/storyboard

Hey and howdy,

I have recently finished my new screenplay and am starting my pre-production. This isn't anything fancy, just a low budget short (30 mins) with a solid screenplay to back it up.

Anyway more to the point, i would like to know what is the best process for planning camera shots? I have scouted my locations and had a look around, the problem is that in order to go around and setup each camera shot before production day i would need to payout more money as it would be too intrusive on the property owners.

Is there a way around this? Previously i have just had a rough idea of what i need to shoot and gone with the flow on production day, but this takes 10x more time on set. I have considered a couple of the 3D storyboard design programs but can't see how pre-made models can make up an accurate set? If there was a program where you could design the set in a Sims like fashion and then position the characters in poses, that would be ideal.

Anyway, any advice would be appreciated.

Hi Nathan,

You could us a program like Bryce or maybe COOL 3D but that could be a real pain.
I would just do some quick hand drawn storyboards. The next time you scout locations
take a digital still camera with you and do pans of all the locations to use in planning
your shoot.

good luck and have fun!

Terry

Thanks for the advice Terry, i figured a digital camera would be a good bet or even a camera phone! I've had a good 8 years or so experience in digital gfx so i might have to overlay some character sketches or 3D models over the photo's.

Is it standard practice to get a photo of all angles you intend to shoot?

A major portion of the initial location scout should be taking a shit ton of digital photos of it from all angles, including ideas for "shots" that come to you as you are scouting it (on a camera that shoots 16x9 if that is how you are filming). Then you have those as reference while you're planning the shoot.

Sometimes it isn't possible (I had a rented location with limited access as well), but once the location is chosen it's good to get every crew head (DP, sound recordist, key grip, even makeup), and walk them through the locationl. Then the recordist knows "hmmm... got some echo to deal with in this room", the Key Grip knows "Huge sunny window over there, need to remember to bring something to cover it", the gaffer knows "Ok, power there, there, and there", etc...

. . . starting my pre-production. This isn't anything fancy, just a low budget short (30 mins) . . . i would like to know what is the best process for planning camera shots? I have scouted my locations and had a look around. . .

Why such a long project? 30 minutes is rather long and ambitious for a short film, especially if this is your first project. If you're planning to get into festivals, they usually look for shorts that are less than 20 minutes long. Will make your job of scouting locations and putting everything together much easier if you cut this project in half.

Is it standard practice to get a photo of all angles you intend to shoot?

It's always a good idea. A few days down the road you will be thinking of something and ask yourself
a question and will not be able to remember everything a about the location, the more locations you
scout the more details you have to remember. The photo help. And if someone else on the crew has a
question and has not seen the all or any of the locations, they to can use the photos.

Terry

Why such a long project? 30 minutes is rather long and ambitious for a short film, especially if this is your first project. If you're planning to get into festivals, they usually look for shorts that are less than 20 minutes long. Will make your job of scouting locations and putting everything together much easier if you cut this project in half.

Hey, thanks for the input! Yeah 30 minutes is a bit long but it can always be cut shorter if there's a limit at the festivals. This is my first indie 'film', i've worked on 2-way and 3-way conversations up to 10 minutes and have produced a studio shoot of a mock panal show with a three camera setup and 7 actors (and a crew of 8). I'm a film student so have a fairly good idea of what needs to be done to get a result.

Thanks for all the advice guys, i will go down to the location and get some stills.

Back