Best Camera/Format for closeup of people...?

I'm setting up to do a project where most of the filming will be of conversations amongst a group of 5 or less people, sometimes outside, sometimes in a vehicle, but more often in low light (dinning room/candlelight) and very often indoors.

It will be destined for either DVD or online viewing, (not in theaters) and I want a clear picture, with professional quality even in low-light situations.

The camera budget is quite flexible, something under $20,000 would be ideal, if there's somthing much better and more expensive, I'd consider it. I see B&H has cameras to go up to the high end of $85,000 but I would prefer to get a recommendation from a filmmaker rather than a sales person.

At the risk of sounding uninformed, here's what I've gathered so far- (and please correct me if I'm wrong) I'm under the impression that the best choices are either 35mm film or HD, and that 35mm film is the way to go if I hope for a theater release and HD is the way to go if I'm not concerned about the big screen.

For the type of filming that I'm interested in, what would be the camera that you would recommend? Thanks for your time guys. :)

Last edited:
Why buy the camera?

You're talkin' about spending up to 100k on one - you could hire a professional DP with their own pro package several times over, for much less.

That would also open up your options, too.

Strange post! Sorry, but.... huh? You have 100K to buy a camera for a straight-to-vid spec project? Like buying a Lamborghini to mow the lawn. Makes no sense man. Sounds like you have money to burn and are looking for the most expensive camera you can get as well as forgetting everything else.

It is good you have 100K though, if you really want to own your own equipment, you can almost furnish a studio. That will buy you multiple cameras and a full 5-ton grip truck. Go for it! lol

Seriously though. Sounds like you need an experienced producer to help you sort this out. You need to do a budget.

So then I take it that filming for a straight-to-video project allows for a much, much lower priced camera... What is the best camera for a straight-to-video project? Again, most of the filming is indoors with low light. Thanks!

PS... (I wasnt asking to spend $100,000.... I was just trying to make the point that I want the best camera available for my purpose)

1. Do you have an itemized budget? If not you need an experienced producer on board before you blow all your money on a camera and have nothing left over for production.

I have all of that, but it's the camera model that I'm trying to decide on. I'm looking for suggestions from people on here rather than a sales person or employee of my own. 5 people's suggestions will probably cover more bases than whatever model he is used to using. I'll definitely have the camera for the next 5 years, but who's to say the producer will stay with us? Any suggestions on the best direct-to-video camera, I'd appreciate it guys....

Nobody buys a 35mm motion picture camera unless they are a DP working in film regularly, or a studio. You rent.

For web videos you certainly don't need 35mm film.

Please post exactly what you are doing and your budget and the video camera experts here can help :)

I have no set budget, and I am looking for the best camera for interviews, close up conversation, and mostly indoor filming. Some of this will be outside, some of this will be in low light, but for the most part it would be filming livingroom conversations. This will go straight to DVD or internet, and I am looking for the best quality picture possible. Any suggestions which camera or what type of set up would be a good choice? The studio I bought is now owned by me (and will be run by me) and I want to know if there is something better out there, regardless of what we are using now. This equipment will not be for rent, but for our stuio only. I'm looking for the best quality picture possible right up to the point before I'd be throwing money away. Thanks in advance guys.

Last edited:
The studio I bought is now owned by me (and will be run by me) and I want to know if there is something better out there, regardless of what we are using now. This equipment will not be for rent, but for our stuio only. I'm looking for the best quality picture possible right up to the point before I'd be throwing money away.

I really have to ask... is this Landon?

I really have to ask... is this Landon?
:lol: You know Zen I thought the same thing. Sounds like ole Landon :)

Now the original post is edited and says $20K. Big difference!

I can't take this poster seriously if he wants to spend $20K one minute, and 100K the next..... what the heck is that?

I've never used this board before- I'm just asking what the best quality camera out there is, to use for filming in-person, close-up, interviews, conversations, and other up-close-and-personal type film that is not destined for the big screen, regardless the price. Any suggestions? I'm not looking to spend a specific dollar figure, I'm looking for the best camera for the job. And I'm seriously asking. Can I get some suggestions? I keep changing the post to zero in on what I'm looking for, can I get some suggestions? Thanks in advance...

'come on you guys, I'm seriously asking- focus on the question, not the numbers. What's the best camera for indoor filming & people filming? Would a HD camera be the best there is for something like this? I gathered that 35mm is overkill, what about HD? Any suggestions, any models, some direction please? Regardless of what we have now or what the budget is, what are some of the best models for this type of filming? Thanks

You can search the forum for some good suggestions. directorik always has good suggestions. He's a Guru here. Look for his follow-ups to the same question you asked.

PS.

:welcome:

I've browsed and searched these forums, but I couldnt find anything where someone specified that they weren't concerned about the option of the big screen, or where they specified the subject matter being closeups of people. I did send directorik a message, and if anyone else sees this and has even a suggestion, it would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

I don't know of a camera that is "best" for close ups of people.
In my experience all cameras can shoot great close ups of
people. The camera is a tool. The people using it make the shots
look good or bad.

Since you've searched the forums you've seen my advice on cameras.
Any of the cameras I've mentioned will be just fine for shooting
close ups. the good news is those same cameras will be able to
shoot a group of 5 or less people, sometimes outside, sometimes
in a vehicle and even indoors.

You really don't need a $20,000 camera for what you're planning.
I'm a professional ENG camera operator and I don't own a
$20,000 camera. You'll do just fine with a camera in the $1,500
range.

Back