Sony HVR Z5U or HPX170 and Nanoflash

Im getting ready to shoot my first feature and I wanted to know your thoughts on either the Z5U or the HPX170 given that their prices are very similar (well from B&H). I understand that the the hpx170 is p2 and the z5u is hdv. id like some input and opinions on which camera to go with. Also ive recently looked in the convergent design nanoflash and also wanted to know what you guys thought about it and even if youve used it with either one of these cameras.

Thanks in advance, William Graydon.

Billy,

why not save $2k and buy the HMC150? I was all set to buy the Sony this spring, then I found out about the 150. I liked the fact that there are no tapes and it records to SDHC cards, which are significantly cheaper than P2. I also liked the fact that it had 5 preset Scene files, 2 of which are designed to achieve "film like" images.

from ProVideo review of HPX170-

From an image quality standpoint, the 150 uses the same lens, chips, and processing as the 170, so I would expect its image to be virtually identical.

I've owned a 150 for the past 6 months and love it.

The HPX is a great camera. The big brother to to HVX200, and shotos a beautiful image.

I would stay away from the Z5U, and any other HDV camera for that matter.

I haven't touched an HMC150, so I can't compare, But i'm sure there's a reason the HPX is priced higher (Maybe controls, ND filters, etc)

thanks guys. yea I am actually still waiting for the camera purchase but i did notice sony is releasing an updated ex1, the ex1r and if it is the same price range as the current ex1 i may be leaning towards that one.

Back