• READ BEFORE POSTING!
    • If posting a video, please post HERE, unless it is a video as part of an advertisement and then post it in this section.
    • If replying to threads please remember this is the Promotion area and the person posting may not be open to feedback.

watch College Students Make An Indie Film

How is it going everyone. I am new to the site and I wanted to share a trailer for a new indie film. I am the head of marketing and the entire crew are a group of young individuals who are still in college or just graduated.

We are in the post production stage and we have our first full trailer to show. You can check it out at the link below.

The Mercury Cycle

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=<object width="560" height="340"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/zpJ2IBHcndg&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/zpJ2IBHcndg&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="560" height="340"></embed></object>

We would be extremely appreciative for any kind of feedback.

I will keep updates on the film if anyone is interested.

Thanks, and have a good one.

If anyone is interested in more updates, you could also join our twitter and facebook fan page.

You can find some wallpapers and screenshots on facebook.

Plus, events are held periodically, like our previous event, the riddle t-shirt giveaway.

TMC Fan Page
TMC Twitter Page

Last edited:
I couldn't be more proud of this film. I saw the first cut and was blown away. There is some raw potential here that any filmmaker big or small, can appreciate.

:welcome:

"What if I told you, that I could see my past."

Everyone can see their past, so I don't get it. The dramatic music and the delivery of that line make it look even sillier. I'm sure there's more to it, but you never explain it in the trailer. Some pill to forget his past and then he can't wake up or something.

Good luck with it.

Very Good!

On the audio mix...

I lost a few lines of dialog here and there. For a trailer the lines of dialog need to pop out more (very different than a film mix). The simplest method is to either raise the dialog levels or lower the music. In addition to that you can "carve a hole" in the music track with EQ by reducing the frequencies that the dialog occupies, and maybe slightly hype the dialog around 4k . You could also use a compressor/limiter on the dialog to give it more "apparent" loudness and smooth out the levels. If the music was composed for the movie/trailer it should be remixed when there is dialog to spread it a little in the stereo spectrum to allow the dialog to occupy the center.

Very Good!

On the audio mix...

I lost a few lines of dialog here and there. For a trailer the lines of dialog need to pop out more (very different than a film mix). The simplest method is to either raise the dialog levels or lower the music. In addition to that you can "carve a hole" in the music track with EQ by reducing the frequencies that the dialog occupies, and maybe slightly hype the dialog around 4k . You could also use a compressor/limiter on the dialog to give it more "apparent" loudness and smooth out the levels. If the music was composed for the movie/trailer it should be remixed when there is dialog to spread it a little in the stereo spectrum to allow the dialog to occupy the center.

We are actually JUST entering the post-sound phase. We haven't done ADR whatsoever yet, so all audio is raw. Your input was greatly appreciated! Thank you so much!

to me..extremely amateur, maybe it's just the acting. i don't understand the need for a 2.35:1 aspect ratio for something like this..and the plot is..extremely confusing. the constant use of thirds and very little - no original direction feel made the visuals rather boring for the type of theme you seem to be going for.

"what if i told you...that i could see my past"
how that line made it into the film raises a lot of red flags as well. i mean, if that is your general premise, what makes it unique? as a poster above said, anyone can see their past. i literally LOL'd at that line, thinking that you were going for a parody, until i watched the rest :S

rarely have i seen anything with mainstream feel (like this) be well done when coming from an independent source. but i've been wrong before. good effort nonetheless

Last edited:
"what if i told you..i could see my past"

..what if i told YOU ..everyone could. lol i'm sorry, but what an outrageous premise.
i don't think i've seen acting that bad on the cheapest soap operas. i don't get why it's in a ratio of 2.35:1 either.
:S :S
all in all..i just don't get how this was green lit, considering indie projects like this are rarely (if ever) well received or even selected at film festivals.
more than anything, however, is the style of direction and shooting. very, very amateur looking. this really raises a question in regards to something posted on the site "how it has been praised for professionalism in craft and appearance". who exactly praised it for this? i mean the look and acting literally had me laughing at points throughout the trailer.

anyways, very ambitious to shoot such a project as senior students, so i respect you for putting forth such an effort. these things take a ton of blood and sweat, as you know. i just question why such efforts would be made for a project like this, and a premise like this - considering the resources you had in acting, DOP, director etc. (all sub-par for even a good short).

Last edited:
"what if i told you..i could see my past"

..what if i told YOU ..everyone could. lol i'm sorry, but what an outrageous premise.
i don't think i've seen acting that bad on the cheapest soap operas. i don't get why it's in a ratio of 2.35:1 either.
:S :S
all in all..i just don't get how this was green lit, considering indie projects like this are rarely (if ever) well received or even selected at film festivals.
more than anything, however, is the style of direction and shooting. very, very amateur looking. this really raises a question in regards to something posted on the site "how it has been praised for professionalism in craft and appearance". who exactly praised it for this? i mean the look and acting literally had me laughing at points throughout the trailer.

anyways, very ambitious to shoot such a project as senior students, so i respect you for putting forth such an effort. these things take a ton of blood and sweat, as you know. i just question why such efforts would be made for a project like this, and a premise like this - considering the resources you had in acting, DOP, director etc. (all sub-par for even a good short).

Your. Username.

Thank you and good day.

to me..extremely amateur, maybe it's just the acting. i don't understand the need for a 2.35:1 aspect ratio for something like this..and the plot is..extremely confusing. the constant use of thirds and very little - no original direction feel made the visuals rather boring for the type of theme you seem to be going for.

"what if i told you...that i could see my past"
how that line made it into the film raises a lot of red flags as well. i mean, if that is your general premise, what makes it unique? as a poster above said, anyone can see their past. i literally LOL'd at that line, thinking that you were going for a parody, until i watched the rest :S

rarely have i seen anything with mainstream feel (like this) be well done when coming from an independent source. but i've been wrong before. good effort nonetheless

Once again sir, your. username.

Thank you and GOOD day!:yes:

Wow, a feature put together in such a way is extremely ambitious!
I must agree with some of those above me... the premise seems, to say the least, juvenile and not all that well thought out. Keep in mind - what seems great to you may not come across well to the public. Many, many films fall into this, and I think this is a classic case.
I don't want to be too hard, as I know what kind of work this would take. I'm sure that, under any circumstance, it served as a good learning experience. This could have been far more interesting had it been shot differently, with far more substance (in other words, different director).
Good luck with the film

Your. Username.

Thank you and good day.

My friend, you continue to comment on the users username.
I do believe that user is lacking in a number of areas lol, but overall, entirely correct. This is coming from a Festival de Cannes recognized filmmaker.

Keep in mind that experience on the set is never wasted. Just seems like a very poorly executed picture. I'm sure that the other filmmakers in this forum, many of which are very talented, would agree with the negative observations made thus far.

**On a positive note, I thought the cinematography was good. My problems after watching the trailer were (in this order)
1- Screenplay
2- Acting/Direction
4- Sound

I know what you were going for here. Unfortunately the story and acting, along with the very "beginner's" feel made almost everything come across as corny. Therefore, what was intended to be an intense, thrilling, suspenseful trailer - came across as parody.

Perhaps re-work the trailer, and re-post?

Last edited:
How lame!

majicpictures and imnotcreative are the same user.

Do you have a vendetta against this filmmaker? Why would you use two accounts to post negative comments on it?

Troll banned.

I would like to inform everyone that Mr. "Imnotcreative" actually hired a female friend of his to harass the TMC facebook as well as the TMC crew!

Lame x's 2, sir. Lame x's 2.

Back