Canon VIXIA HF10 vs JVC GY-HM100U

What are you guys thoughts on the Canon VIXIA HF10 and the JVC GY-HM100U?

Next year I will be shooting a few Internet shows, music videos, documentaries, and multi-camera live events such as magic shows, stand-up comedy, and music concerts. These projects will be available in SD on my web site, as Podcasts in both SD and HD, and on DVD and Blu-ray.

Which such a wide variety of projects and shooting needs, I really want to get a versatile camera that can do it all with audio/mic inputs for capturing the best sound in unpredictable situations and the ability to be edited the footage VERY QUICKLY.

I have fallen in love with the JVC GY-HM100U's instantly editable native Final Cut Pro format, dual SDHC Card Slots for editing on location while still recording, XLR mic input with phantom power, included shotgun mic, and headphone port for monitoring audio (when shooting live music concerts so I can monitor the levels and ensure I'm getting undistorted audio).

The problem is it's like $3500... and I need two... and this is only a hobby.... not my career.

Today I came across an article on the Canon HF10 that stated it was used (along with the Canon XH A1) to shoot Crank: High Voltage. The movie was shot entirely with prosumer cameras and 98% of the film was shot with Canons (the other two percent going to a prosumer level Sony for slow motion shots). The Canon HF10 also has a mic input (not xlr w/ phatom power, but a mic input nonetheless... better than most cameras in it's price range) and headphone jack for monitoring audio levels. But it is in the AVCHD format which will make coping the footing into Final Cut Pro or even iMovie take significantly longer than the instant edibility of the JVC's footage and the Canon's mic input doesn't have the on-camera manual audio level controls like the xlr input on the JVC.

What are you guys thoughts on these cameras and should I spend the money and get the camera I want or deal with the JVC's small shortcomings over the JVC and get two of the Canon's with all the accessories I could possibly want for less than one of the JVC's with no accessories (other than what it comes with which is actually a lot; even a boom mic)?

To me there is no comparison.

AVCHD vs. SDHC

One 1/3” CMOS vs. Three 1/4” 16:9 Progressive CCD’s

no view finder vs.a viewfinder

mini plug vs. XLR

Canon’s 24p Cinema Mode vs. 1080/60i, 1080/50i, 1080/30p,
1080/24p, 1080/25p, 720/60p, 720/50p, 720/30p, 720/24p,
720/25p

But since you are just a hobbiest and you need 2 cameras that
$5,000 difference (for two) isn’t worth it. The JVC is an very
professional camera in a “prosumer” body. But the Canon is a fine
camera for what you want to do.

lol. Those are all VERY good points. If a 13" MacBook Pro (2.26GHz w/ 2GB of RAM eventually upgraded to 8GB) doesn't have any problem editing 1080p footage in Final Cut Pro (version 7 I believe is the latest), I'll be saving and begging my wife to let me get the JVC. It's perfect for what I want to do and I think I'll just have to deal with only having one camera. After all I am just a hobbiest and if I can scare up any good clients at all in the music scene around here (music videos, documentaries, live concerts dvd's, etc.) one camera will get my by until the money I make from doing film work can afford me a second camera.

You intent was to ensure me the Canon will work for what I want to do, but your points have convinced me to save and get what I really want and not settle for less. Whether it just remains a hobby or turns into a second source of income, if I'm going to do it all, I might as well do it right.

Back