Gunshot Effects

Hey yall, asked a question about firing blanks in another thread and got kind of a 'dont even ask' response. A realistic muzzle flash is my primary concern, trying to figure out if we can render it digitally in post, cheaply and effectively. Really appreciate it.

Last edited:
Yah, Detonation Films make it fairly simple (and fun).

If you know your way around After Effects, it's not that difficult to make your own from scratch.

The "flash" is the easy part. Realistic smoke is much trickier. :)

The "flash" is the easy part. Realistic smoke is much trickier. :)

Detonation Films' gunfire also has smoke. They also sell Debris DVDs. You add them in, just like you do the flash effect. I know Steve already knows, but to the original poster, here is a scene that was shot with plastic guns. All flash, smoke, debris and most blood splats were done in post.

The shooting starts at the :55 second mark.

SHOOT OUT

Sony Vegas will allow you to add gun effects, without any other software, per the link, above. My first gun effects were done in Photoshop. In Premiere, I selected a few frames from my timeline and EXPORTED them as a TIFF SEQUENCE. I then found a frame grab of fire and CLONED it onto the guns. When the guns went off, I also made a circular part of the whole frame brighter, using the BURN tool.

I used the Photoshop technique at the 4:40 time segment of this video:

THREE STRIPE

I did the same thing at the 6:30 time segment, above, and that one looks really cool!

If you freeze frame it, my flash is a bunch of bright squiggly lines, because I sqribbled them in with the clone tool. Notice how the entire frame brightens up during the flash. I've had people watch this and think it was a very good effect, even though no compositing program was used; just Photoshop. :yes:

If you can afford to buy the elements and programs for compositing, you have a lot of options. FXhome.com distributes Composite Lab Pro for very cheap. A step up from that is Vision Lab Studio, which I used in the first shootout clip, along with After Effects. The great thing about Vision Lab Studio is that you have access to pre-animated gun flashes that you can totally adjust - size, angle, rate of fire, etc. Because the animated effects are "generated" by the program, you can do a lot of things that you can't do with a few select angles of real gun blasts.

Like Zensteve said, you want smoke. Vision Lab can do that, but I like mixing real blast smoke, because it looks so natural. The best all in one elements (fire, smoke, blood, etc.) package is probably ACTION ESSENTIALS 2, from http://www.videocopilot.net/ It should be on the main page. Watch the demo and you should be duly impressed.

As noted above, but here is the HD footage link - http://www.detfilmshd.com/

Also, http://www.nccinema.ch/

If you need blank firing guns, but not real weapons, I have several realistic, blank firing stage pistols from these guys: http://www.collectorsarmory.com/index.php?p=catalog&parent=1&pg=1

The blank firing guns are very loud, but they eject shells, smoke, flash and can com in handy during a tricky lighting situation, like having a realistic gunfight in the dark. One of the best gunshot effects I ever did was with one of these guns.

To see it, go to the 1:10 time segment of this video:

ROADKILL

You can see more of the blank firing at the 2:25 mark.

To sum up: You can use Photoshop, a compositing program, blank firing stage guns, or in the case of shotguns, etc. - real blanks. In the latter case, you should hire a professional armorer. The great thing about post effects is you can have a huge shootout and have it be totally silent and safe.

Last edited:
Like Zensteve said, you want smoke. Vision Lab can do that, but I like mixing real blast smoke, because it looks so natural. The best all in one elements (fire, smoke, blood, etc.) package is probably ACTION ESSENTIALS 2, from http://www.videocopilot.net/ It should be on the main page. Watch the demo and you should be duly impressed.

I have action Essentials vol I and now II. not only are these incredible muzzle flash substitutes, you have to remember to color correct them to match the scene and also to add a brightness to the area around the gun tip. Other tricks to selling the illusion are the bullet shell casings (in Action Essentials II) and the re-coil spark. Little things that go a long way to selling it.

I've done muzzle flashes for 2 feature films and the key is in lighting and color matching, plus sound being perfect.

Hey yall, asked a question about firing blanks in another thread and got kind of a 'dont even ask' response. A realistic muzzle flash is my primary concern, trying to figure out if we can render it digitally in post, cheaply and effectively. Really appreciate it.
LOL. I guess that was me :)

Anyways, I like the real stuff, not CGI. "Non-guns" flash and smoke with an electronic squib, and are safer than real guns and blanks. Cheers.

Indie, you bought your nonguns? do you know what they cost for a week of rental? i only have seven scenes with guns actually firing, so im figuring i can use the guns i actually own for scenes where there is no firing and rent the nonguns for the scenes where im firing.

Try this, a fairly inexpensive program (effects lab pro) works very well WWW.fxhome.com
That program can produce some good effects if you're on a tight budget. But it's probably in the long run worth holding out and buying After effects when you can afford it.

You could try getting some airsoft guns as has been sugested to me in the past. A lot of them have realistic gun actions. They'd be easier to get than blank firing guns. You won't have all the extra costs for armourers, permits and insurance.

Back