Updating camera for the 24p Look..

Hi everyone...
I'm selling my Canon GL2 (or XM2 as it's known by here in England), and am hoping to get around £650 ($1000) for it. My reason for selling is that I'm moving into more professional short film production, and need the most cinematic look I can get without actually having to use film. Therefore I want a wide angle lens, 24p framerate and nice gamma settings.

My question is which camera should I go for? My first instinct (based on the gamma settings and true progressive framerate) is the Panasonic DVX100B.... but that's quite an old camera now... Is it still the best option for an indie filmmaker on a relatively small budget? Is there now an alternative in a similar price range which has true 16:9 while not sacrificing the true manual focus/zoom, gamma settings, 24p etc? Most of the alternatives I've been suggested seem to be more suited to broadcast, not film.

Is it just best to hold tight and not upgrade for a while longer - perhaps go HD?

My final concern is that am I really going to benefit from getting a DVX100 if I already have a PAL XM2 (being Pal we have a lower framerate anyway). Can I achieve the DVX100 look with the Pal XM2?

I'd love to hear your thoughts.
Thanks, Dom

Last edited:
The best camera for that 'film look' is a RED...either the ONE or Scarlett. They have insane controls, great lens support, and crazy color information. Of course...this might be out of your price range (it's out of most of our price range). The entire package will run you around $50K.

As far as an inexpensive prosumer camera...I always recommend the Panasonic HVX200a...it runs around 3-5K...and looks fantastic.

I would definitely go HD (720p minimum).

Good luck.

HD

OK so HD is definately the way to go at this point then - you think it would be foolish to go down the SD route and pick up a DVX100B for $1500? I am inclined to agree with you actually, I think it's better to have the option so I might save up and go for it.

Should I get an NTSC model of the HVX200 in order to get 24p, or is the 25p on the PAL the same thing?

Is it just best to hold tight and not upgrade for a while longer - perhaps go HD?
Work within your means, and you'll be working. If you wait, you'll always be waiting, because there's always new technology coming!

Work within your means, and you'll be working. If you wait, you'll always be waiting, because there's always new technology coming!

I agree for the most part...in theory...

However, even though technology is always coming...it's been a while since HD hit, and it's pretty much available and affordable to most working individuals out there. A part time job can easily wield a solid HD camera in a matter of 6 months or so (depending on your overhead).

Also, just because you're waiting and saving, doesn't mean you're not working...you can also look for other projects and production companies in the area to keep you busy, learn some stuff, and meet some folks...

1500 for a 100B? I should have gone to where you're shopping. I couldn't find any in that price range...granted, I'm not one to nitpick over prices so I don't shop around until my hands hurt in order to save a couple hundred bucks.

Haha, I have no choice - got to find the best deals when you're a 'struggling artiste!' I'm shopping on ebay, so those prices are second hand.

I agree that you could wait forever... but I think it's best to wait for the HVX200 (not really for the HD, but for the massively variable framerates and the true 16:9), and in the meantime keep refining my screenplay...

Just gotta get that part time job!

but one 'concern' at this moment is that HD-camera's are popping up so fast that it is difficult to decide anyway.. even regular photocamera's get FullHD filming capabilities like the Canon 7D (http://nycpress.blogspot.com/2009/09/canon-7d-dslr-18-megapixels-24fps-full.html) for even less than a 'prosumer' camcorder, which means there will also be camcorders soon which will have the same capabilities for even less.. So the problem is, do you spend 3K now or maybe get the same kind of capabilities for 1.5K in 2-3 months..
it was all so much easier in the Sony VX1000/Canon Gl-1 time ;) back then it took years before a new better model arrived, now weeks... :(

digital cameras might be able to shoot HD but they lack in other aspects and chip size

I don't think a camera like the EOS 7D lacks in chipsize compared to same/doublepriced camcorders.. (and definitly if you go for a OES 5DMII) ofcourse there is always a difference in options, but that's the same with regular camcorders.. My guess is that with the next batch the difference will be nominal..

I myself will at least very much consider a camera like the EOS series instead of a camcorder, especially because you can almost get 2 for the price of 1 good camcorder at this time, so it's a great way for multiple camera setups and still keep it 'cheap'.. hehe..

6 months ago, I was looking for the same thing as you. Inexpensive, 24P to create cinematic images. Almost bought a Sony Z5 (which I still think is a great camera), then I read about the Panasonic HMC150. New they will run you about $3200. Good luck finding a used one.

What I like about the 150-
3 x 1/3 CCD
no tape-records to inexpensive SDHC cards
Great Leica lens
5 Scene files
2 XLR inputs

There is not alot not to like about the camera. It shoots great images.
Good Luck,

Doug

Back