• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

How to combat sound "echo" when filming in a garden shed?

Hi all,

So I will be doing some DIY films on welding one day in the shed. Now in my shed it is rather echo ey ey ey ey.....

SO If I used a lav mic will this reduce the echo?
Or should I use a boom mic or what?

Thanks

Peter

If you can get a lav on, that would work better.

but you must work on the shed....carpet everywhere you can....hand sound blankets everywhere you can....you also might want to get some painters drop cloths and hang them on the ceiling if you can also.

whatever you can do. will make a difference.

always good to hear that someone cares about the sound :)

hope this helps
dave

I have covered the walls in dry wall (called gyprock here in Australia) and it has made bit of a difference.

Laying carpet down on the concrete floor is no good as I will be filming welding and the hot sparks etc will melt the carpet, then I will be doing a documentary on fire safety:lol:

But I probably could put carpet on the roof or something cheap and similar.

Any ideas on a cheap and good lav mic?
Looking at getting a Canon hfs 100 or 10 to film this wirh.

Any ideas on a cheap and good lav mic?
You can get a good lav or a cheap lav.

The Tram TR50 (about $310 each), Voice Technologies VT500 series (about $350 each) and the Countryman B3 (about $200) and B6 (about $300) are all very nice lavs. Audio Technica lavs ($150 - $200) are okay as well.

The Audio Technica ATW trans/rec systems ($450 - $500) are nice and the Sennheiser G3 trans/rec systems ($600) are very good.

VHF systems are less expensive, give you longer battery life and greater range, but they are very prone to interference. UHF systems are more expensive, have shorter battery life and less range but are markedly less prone to interference.

Back