Weapons

I'm thinking about creating a short film. It's basically a revenge story. I will need get a number of fake guns. But I'm in the UK, there are very strict gun laws so I have to be careful about what I do.

Can anybody suggest how I could get some realistic looking guns to use in my movie?

I have heard that spraying toy guns is a good alternative. But I've searched a number of sites and not found many good toy guns cheap enough to be worth spraying.
I've also heard it's illegal to remove the red/orange cap that most toys have over the barrel. Is this true?
Does anyone know any good suppliers?

The kinds of guns I need are:
Spas 12 shotgun
M4 carbine
M16 rifle
10mm and 9mm pistols
Grenades

Last edited:
not sure if you know this but you can buy replica BB guns which people use for Airsoft sport (like paintball). Recently there has been some legal gray area but you can still buy them from such UK sites like http://www.airsoftonline.co.uk/erol/erol.html or other import sites (carfful on the imports), I have orded from zero one before they are cool, i have ordered an import of the shot gun off mad max 2 a while ago.

Here is a cool site also http://www.modelguns.co.uk/ which sell realistic guns that fire, they have videos on there I think, they look pretty cool.

Also if you have a local market or anything like that they may sell replica bb guns etc.

I think guns are over used. If I were you I would go with blunt and sharp weapons. Bats, Swords, Knifes and maybe something like a Bat with Nails sticking out. Not only would that be a slightly diff but it would make the movie very brutal.

If you still want to use guns check out dollar stores around you. I don't know if you have them in the UK but I would guess you have something like it. They tend to have cheap looking guns that are well cheap to buy. Just paint them up.

Just a thought about the use of weapons in you film, If you decide to "shoot" it.
About a month before call the local police in the area that you plan to film in and let them
know what you are going to be doing. The call back a week before and tell them again and
give them a date, and call them again on the day of the shoot and make sure that they know
what is going on.

It can save your butt big time.

And have fun!

Terry

Thanks for all the help.
I had heard of airsoft guns but I've not found many good suppliers, thanks for the links.

@TheBuck: I may use a few blunt and sharp weapons as it's suposed to be very brutal film. But guns are a pretty big part of it. Anyway, it's more difficult for me to use sharp and blunt weapons for security reasons. A bat with nail can be used as a weapon, not just a prop. A fake gun when comes down to it is just a toy.

@Stardust Walking: Thanks for the advice. Getting arrested was what I was most concerned about. I'll definately do that when I get round to filming. Just hope I won't need any permits.

hey countevil, It probably depends on where you are shooting. In London (forget it) permits galore. You're located in SE UK maybe find a small town that would be excited about a film being shot in the area. Then Stardust has the right idea go meet the the local police tell them what you are doing and you may get an enthusiastic response- you could even get an off duty officer that would come out and give technical advice on how your actors hold the weapons etc. Of course this is all speculation and of course the answer is no until you ask but it wouldn't hurt.

I'm not sure about airsoft guns in the UK. We used them on our film and they look realistic we put all the action (muzzle blast, sound) on in post production. That's the cheapest/safest way to do it.
Good Luck and keep us posted.

Just a thought about the use of weapons in you film, If you decide to "shoot" it.
About a month before call the local police in the area that you plan to film in and let them
know what you are going to be doing. The call back a week before and tell them again and
give them a date, and call them again on the day of the shoot and make sure that they know
what is going on.

It can save your butt big time.

And have fun!

Terry

I second this. ALWAYS call your local police, fire dept, etc...it's hugely worth it. And have your paperwork ready.

As far as my two cents...there are a lot of toy guns that look real. And you should definitely use black paint or sharpy to get rid of the orange--don't worry about if it's illegal or not. As long as the authorities are aware of you shooting (no pun intended), you'll be fine.

Back