Hiring DP/editor-what procedure?

As Production Manager involved in pre-production for a no-budget, I am for the first time responsible for “hiring” crew.

I would like to know if there is a standard procedure/protocol people here use in approaching someone like the DP/editor and seeking to “hire” them?

*Do you approach them personally, outlining the project details and who is behind it etc?

*Call them by phone, and request a CV or show reel + CV?

*Send an email in the form of an Expression of Interest / Request For Information (which outlines the project details and who is behind it etc) sending it to all of them simultaneously?

All in this group/cohort of people being considered have varying degrees of commercial and film experience as DP/editor, some are independent, while some manage/run small media companies/studios.

ETA: all are variously known to me and the Actor-Writer-Director-Producer (AWDP), with the AWDP having worked with some in his previous short films. Contact with them is left to me, the PM.

Thanks.

Last edited:
1) People I know

2) People my friends know

3) Craigslist

That's the order I usually go in, for crew.

You should have everyone's show reel before offering anyone the job of DP.

Since (between you & your buddy) you personally know everyone in your available pool, it should be fairly straightforward. Just call 'em all up and get their reels. No need for any paperwork yet.

Watch reels, place everyone in order on a list, and then contact again from top to bottom - one at a time. Hopefully you'll get your favourite; if not, move to next on list. When you get an interested DP, take 'em out to lunch to discuss the project in detail before finalising anything.

That's just me, though. Good luck. :)

"1) People I know

2) People my friends know

3) Craigslist"

I'd agree with that, and have actually had good luck with 3.

Pick the best two or three, take them to lunch, see if you think they will be easy to work with, let them know pay/budget situation, and go from there.

Back