• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

HOW to do THIS?

Take your picture that you took of the map and re-create the map in Photoshop, then you can control the resolution. Then take that PSD and finish your move in After Effects. From the sounds of it, I would think this would be the best way to achieve the move you want. That's the best idea I can think of. Good luck and let us know what you decided on.

The videocopilot thing is good if you want to whoosh in from afar and kinda only suggest the motion. I can do that if it's something different.

But this is kind of a steady motion so you can read the map like Russia up there and China there and Africa here and Europe there and then you can read closer details like El Giza and Suez and Aquaba etc. until you see just the word Jerusalem on screen with its dot.

Nice and steady over about 10 seconds. So trying to do whooshing in is not gonna cut it.

I wasn't sugesting for a moment that you try to immitate it completely. It shows you how to go from a zoomed out image to a close up image. I'm pretty sure you can use that technique on a map. Just ignore or the fancy wooshing stuff.

Do what Scopicman said, but get a bigger map, and turn off auto focus! Why is that on? You have two focus options. Rack it or focus to infinity (might work).

He most likely did it using after effects using primarily the same technique as the video copilot earth zoom. The point of the closer pictures is that you have the right frame replaced by the closer picture just before the image breaks down to pixels visually. The camera movement added in post is doable using your editing program as well, but the motion tends to be a bit hit and miss if you keyframe it by hand... AE allows you to automate this with a parent/child relationship between the largest picture and each of the others in succession. As the next image fills the frame, the first goes transparent revealing an image with better resolution.

Back