These lights any good? Worth it?

Dang, wish I'd seen this sooner.

I'd recommend Britek lights for starter kits. They aren't as sturdy as Lowell, but they are much cheaper - and they'll last forever unless you really abuse them. Just need to keep a weight on the legs, as they get a bit top-heavy with the soft-boxes attached.

There are many Britek retailers you can find on the 'net. (I use Skaeser.com)

"Just need to keep a weight on the legs, as they get a bit top-heavy with the soft-boxes attached."

I never fully understood how useful sandbags are, or why they made fancy ones with handles, until I saw my DP use them for everything from bracing lights to sitting the camera on top of a stack of them for a low angle.

They seem silly and pointless until you have a 1k tip over on you and get a serious 2nd degree contact burn that blisters intstantly... then they suddenly make sense.

In snowy states, we can get 5 lb bags of salt for melting snow on sidewalks and whatnot. I bought a chunk of canvas that I'm going to sew into saddle bags that just fit the salt bags, then put some strapping through it and flip them pockets inside. Cost should be about $10/ sandbag that way.

They seem silly and pointless until you have a 1k tip over on you and get a serious 2nd degree contact burn that blisters intstantly... then they suddenly make sense.

In snowy states, we can get 5 lb bags of salt for melting snow on sidewalks and whatnot. I bought a chunk of canvas that I'm going to sew into saddle bags that just fit the salt bags, then put some strapping through it and flip them pockets inside. Cost should be about $10/ sandbag that way.

$10 is too much for DIY sandbags.

I can tell you where to get the BEST deal on them. Lumiere Technology. They have the 18 pound (sold empty) saddle style for $8 on their site, and $5.98 in their ebay store.

Nice find IT! Although, the $10 includes the salt bags in mine and gets you a 10 lb bag.
You can still fill these cheaper and have professionally made bags 18 lbs. each. Sand is cheap! Plus, what happens if you get the snow-melt wet? Salt dissolves.

Back