• READ BEFORE POSTING!
    • If posting a video, please post HERE, unless it is a video as part of an advertisement and then post it in this section.
    • If replying to threads please remember this is the Promotion area and the person posting may not be open to feedback.

watch Short Martial Arts Film "Bad Signal"

As a fellow martial artist (Goju-ryu) I have to say I like what I saw. I'm guessing the style was kung fu, to many "round" movements for TKD and the kicking was not as brutal as Muay Thai. Loved the sneakers with the suits.
The dialog was soft (hearing). Was it a planed out fight or play it by ear? And what in the hell was the story? Not that it really needed one.

Nice fight scene i MUST SAY. What camera was you using may I ask?

I agree with thebuck, the dalogue was to low there. Also the randomness of a fight with a random guy not much of a story, but I guess as the buck said it didint really need one as it was more about the fight scene.

Tight. Nice action accompanied by very nice camera angles and sharp clean editing.

Like doomed, I would also like to know the camera that was used. Also how did you get those very impressive low shots (phone, sneaks) was the camera below ground level (as in did you dig a hole)?

I liked it a lot.

The quality of the footage is good. It was very clear, good resolution.
The story was slightly random. Impressive fighting, but not much to explain it. The whole concept of two guys fighting in suits has become a bit of a cliche. I was amused to see that the suits sustained no damage or got very dusty.
I'd agree with the other comments about dialogue. You either need to increase the levels or re-dub it over.

I thought that was well done. Nice camera work, the color grading is nice, the editing was clean. In addition the action foley was actually pretty damn good...so many micro/no budget fights or action sequences have really bad canned sound fx...but I actually liked your sound-bite set...where did you get all those sounds if you don't mind me asking...whats the source?

At first I was expecting amateur fight choreography...two young dudes making a short...you know how it is...but I was pleasantly surprised at the level of thought that went into the moves. And not only the level of thought, but more importantly, how well each of you SOLD the moves, hits, and falls. That makes a huge difference in how immersed I get in a film.

Obviously there was no story, and the dialog wasn't thought out or captured properly...but who cares. This is about the fight right? There are no false pretenses about being a cohesive story...so I won't even go into those elements of discussion.

Naturally my only gripe is the age of the younger guy...that draws me out of the scene a little. But hey, that's cool, you guys are just getting started. Better to start young and work your way up. There will always be age discrimination is certain genres of film...you just have to work your way through that, learning the entire way, so that once you reach the level of age when you can be taken fully seriously, you'll be kickass at your craft and harbor great respect.

One thing I noticed...the younger actor broke character more than he should. He has the classic 'I'm smirking' look that many inexperienced actors have when they feel uncomfortable on camera. Make sure you never break character by smirking or smiling...always be diligent in your awareness of facial reactions and responses. I was totally in a kickass part of the fight, when the young dude practically smiled...and it broke me right out of the moment.

Good stuff. That was fun.

Last edited:
Back