• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

Will these lights be sufficent/overkill?

Two 500W Halogens on a stand. I was thinking of buying three.

Attachments

• lights.jpg
    lights.jpg
    8.9 KB · Views: 144
I worked in lighting for 7years (non-film) and those will deff put out some light, however, I'm not good with lighting in films so I'm not sure those are the best to go with. I know it's not a lot of help but I tried :)

It all depends on what you want your shot to look like. Mood, pacing, budget, etc. All contribute to what will "work". If you do get these lights I recommend some black wrap and diffusion to help you control the light. There are really so many factors to lighting it is a process of learning. Any more questions just ask. We at indietalk.com are here to help. Good luck and let us know what you decide.

Thanks guys. I know there's a ton to learn. Hopefully I will be getting on set soon with some film makers from the area...Nick Smith and JC Conway, the latter having directed me in two plays.

If I can do that, I'm sure I will pick up tons of knowledge.

Those lights are fine, just resist the urge to blast them directly onto your talent (unless you want them to look like mutants from hell). Ideally, for interiors, bounce them off of a white wall/ceiling or foam core to give your set a soft wash, then highlight with practical fixtures (which means light sources that are visible on camera, such as table lamps) and/or clamp lamps to give the scene some depth.

For exterior days, they will be the wrong color temperature unless you gel them.

Exterior nights, that's a whole other kettle of fish, not for the faint of heart. ;)

Very bright, and very HOT! WEAR GLOVES WHEN WORKING WITH THEM.
We heated our green room on "Death Bed" with one of those heads.

Look for ones with a tall stand (8' is ideal).
Build barndoors for them ( http://www.coollights.biz ).
Turn them off when they're not immediately being used, or during long breaks.

These are really good lights, they just lack alot of control that pro lights would have.

These lights came in today. They are perfectly as described and shown...except I had to run and didn't get to dig through, but i don't see the bulbs anywhere. I don't think they came with them, and they were supposed to.

Back