Short film festival contests--back 'for more'?

On a previous thread – http://www.indietalk.com/showthread.php?t=18138 – I questioned the validity of entering short film contests given the problems specific to that particular project of the time, and to such contests in general.

Well, as it is, I am, like Oliver Twist, going back ‘for more’.

I am working with the same AWD/Producer, as the Production Manager, Assistant Director, Co-screenwriter (as opposed to the previous ‘script consultant’), and ‘Co-Producer’.

Since that project, considerable changes have been instituted:

i) we’re starting some 12 or more weeks in advance with development and
pre-production planning;

ii) we’re seeking to improve the technical quality, and are set to produce a synopsis and business plan for potential investors, from whom we are seeking a small amount of monies, between USD2K-3K. Given the short time available, and the fact that this is a 10 minute short, coupled with the point that much of my time will be tied up with operational issues, I however remain skeptical;

iii) role functions have more or less been clarified, so as to avoid the problems that arose last time between myself as AD and the DP who worked with us then. This time, the AWD/producer more clearly understands the role of the Production Manager when it comes to obtaining/ ‘hiring’ crew and cast.

However, he says he wants final say—I am a fully fledged partner in this project (in terms of workload, actually more than this) so I am prepared to accept that such decisions should be reached by consensus, and where there is disagreement, a best-of-three coin flipping will solve the differences.

iv) correcting a previous statement, this will be my 3rd short film contest involvement
-- though with the greatest involvement to-date -- and probably be my last in conjunction with this chap.

Time-wise, I sense that in terms of project management, the next project with this same chap will likely involve me in further work, because I am attentive to detail, and he is not. More importantly, time spent on such projects takes away time from my own, other longer-term projects, which I have been paying limited attention to. At this stage of my life, I have to think very carefully how I apportion my time.

And financially, I have to consider work which will help pay the rent. I think that after this project, I will be seeking out things that will generate revenue/income eg. working with a small production house or other, if possible.

We’ll see how things turn out.

Back