Working with JVC GY-HD250U and need some advise.

I am working on my next short film and I have the amazing oppurtunity to use a JVC ProHD GY-HD250U camera to make my film. Is there any advise with using the camera? I'm going to be using a standard shotgun mic. with the camera as well as a portable audio compressor. Is there any tips or issues that I should be aware of before I start shooting? Thank you!

I bought a JVC GY-HD110U about a year ago for a project that didn't get done...then there was another project that also didn't get done. I finally broke it out this week for a project that DID get done (finally).

While the 250 is slightly different, the advice that I can give you is that you really need to have some batteries...I have four, and I was on my fourth after a 2 hour shoot. Granted since the camera sat for awhile, maybe the batteries are shot, but as a just in case, bring the charger with you and extra batteries too.

Other than that, my last camera was a Canon GL-2, and I found the operation actually similar in a lot of ways. I messed with it for an afternoon, and shot the next day. So that might be my other suggestion...get some time with it and the manual before you're really shooting. You don't need a lot of time if you're familiar with cameras, but take some time.

Other than that, enjoy yourself!

Chris

Thanks for your reply. I didn't make this clear in my first post, but has there been any specific issues with sound on the camera? This is where I really didn't do a good job on my last film and I'm wanting to get it perfect this go around.

The audio on that camera is excellent.

But if you don't have a good mic and a good boom op
the recording capabilities of that camera won't make
difference.

Use a good mic, use a boom pole to get that mic close
to the actors and a boom op who knows what they
are doing.

Camera set up and mics

The JVC GY HD 100 series has worked well for me in all modes. I suggest you pay close attention to the output and what the program requirements will be. There are quite a few settings to check so make sure its set on what you need for capturing the best video for the project and the budget.

For audio I use a sony VHF wireless and I have also used a great recording app on my I phone when its hard to hide a mike. I use Happy Talk Professional recorder and the quality has been unbelievable in a number of situations.
the phone doubles as a phone so when it is used as a phone its actually being used as a voice recorder. You dont have to conceal the phone and it fits easily in most pockets. The rustling of clothes may be a problem but it is solvable. Syncing the audio file in Final cut is easy. Another good inexpensive mike if you dont have a $400 Sennheizer is the Sony ECM 907. Its a consumer model that runs about $80 but the quality is very good and its only about 5 inches long. in the zoom mode it makes a good directional boom mike.

I use Anton Bauer Dionic batteries and they last all day. I put the first battery on charge as soon as it needs to be charged but have never had to use it the same day. 2 of these batteries will do it unless you are running a light or a hardrive on the camera. Then you might need 1 or 2 more if its remote and you cant charge.

Back