Looking for a good travel camera

I have been looking into getting a camera since I participated in a year long course in documentary filmmaking last year. Of course I was spoiled by having access to great cameras/audio/lights, however I've decided to put off investing into a really great camera until I practice the basics of framing, editing, interviewing and storyline. I am about to move to Central America for about a year and would love to have a camera to play around with while I am down there--mostly to make short "slice of life" kind of videos to practice filming, editing, all the above.

I am looking for something really basic (standard def, around $250-$450) and small since I will be traveling and focusing on content rather than great HD picture. I would ideally like a camera with a microphone jack and manual controls, but understand that these might not be available in this price range.

Format is very important to me, since I may not have the luxury of having good computer access in Central America. I am assuming that I will want to have a format that can directly plug into a computer to upload videos to a site or burn footage onto a DVD for future editing (if that is possible). Overall, I will be looking for a format that is more flexible to work with down there than miniDV. On the other hand, it is also possible that I will not be able to find a computer very often (or ever) down there with the capacity to work with video, in which case I'd like to have a format with permanence and a large memory so I can pack home several hours of footage. Possibly an SD memory card with a USB connection? Could anyone suggest a good new or used starter camera that may fit these specifications? Should I be looking at an HV20 or HV30, or is there something a little more affordable than those that may fit my needs?

Thank you for your help!

It's not the camera you need to shop for, it's the accessories.

Hard shell case
Dust-Off
Lens Cleaner (Formula MC)
Lens tissue
Microfiber cloth
Lens filters (A UV filter is good for protecting the lens from debris)
Some sort of small tarp to protect camera quickly in rain

It's not the camera you need to shop for, it's the accessories.

Hard shell case
Dust-Off
Lens Cleaner (Formula MC)
Lens tissue
Microfiber cloth
Lens filters (A UV filter is good for protecting the lens from debris)
Some sort of small tarp to protect camera quickly in rain

Forgot to mention those... I usually just put a lens cap on if it comes with it.
whats the lens tissue for?

Back