• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

Experimental lighting?!

Hello,

since I own the Canon 5d Mark II which doesn't need a lot of light to give decent results, I wondered if anybody came across some new ways of experimental lighting. I will shot a music video next month and the budget won't be very huge. So I am looking for some cheap ways to light a scene in an artistic, experiental way - do you know what I mean?
What I was thinking about was...

1)...using a projector and a screen with some crazy After Effects animations close to the band in a dark room. Has anybody done this before? How are the results?
2)...using a stroboscope. How is this gonna look on a 5d? Should I use a fog machine with it as well?

But apart from that I'm still looking for other ideas (on how to create experimental lighting for a music video without a big budget) and I am pretty sure someone in this community will have some. ( ;

Generally: I used to let my DoP do all this thinking, so I am ABSOLUTELY new to lighting. Please consider this when you write a reply.

Thank you!

Joschka

Last edited:
Back